Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Anthony 1

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-03-13

Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over    Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 5:07 pm

I have a Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over, it is about 6 inches tall and about 2.5 inches Diameter.

Because of the danger of damaging the plant which I have had for getting on for 20 years I am reluctant to put a stake in and tie up using soft jute string.

Will someone please advise

Many Thanks
Back to top Go down
K.W.

K.W.

Number of posts : 3205
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over    Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 10:53 pm

Anthony 1 wrote:
I have a Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over, it is about 6 inches tall and about 2.5 inches Diameter.

Because of the danger of damaging the plant which I have had for getting on for 20 years I am reluctant to put a stake in and tie up using soft jute string.

Will someone please advise

Many Thanks

Good evening Anthony,

I think Your idea is good. May be use two stake.

Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over Bild3307

Ok, ok it is no Mammillaria. . . but just to show You what I mean.

Best wishes

K.W.

Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over    Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Firstly, I don't think your plant can possibly be m. gigantia with those dimensions. Gigantia will eventually make a plant much more wider that your 2.5 inches, growing to 6 inches or more in breadth. At the same time not increasing it's height by very much. Also, the flowers will be green. If you were to post a picture here we might be able to give you a more accurate name. I think KW has a magnificent plant of m. gigantia in his collection, so he might be able to put a photo up for you to see.
Secondly, KW's suggestion is spot on. If your plant was of a type that might offset in time, which clearly yours hasn't after 20yrs, a hanging basket would be another option.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Back to top Go down
K.W.

K.W.

Number of posts : 3205
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over    Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 pm

delandmo wrote:
>>>
<<<
I think KW has a --------- (censored) plant of m. gigantia in his collection, so he might be able to put a photo up for you to see.
>>>
<<<
Look forward to hearing from you.

Good evening dear friends,
here are some pictures of my Mammillaria gigantea.
The plant really does not need supports.

224583 Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over Bild3369

222968 Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over Bild3370

222969 Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over Bild3368

On the other hand, a plant like this Mammillaria magnifica would lie down without support.
Which would not be a problem - because it is the normal behavior. But it takes a lot of space in the greenhouse.
224587 Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over Bild3371

Best wishes

K.W.

Back to top Go down
Anthony 1

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over    Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2019 12:06 pm

OK so I accept that mine is not M.gigantea, but with enough books on the subject I ought to be able to do the I.D myself.

Many thanks and will post a picture soon

Anthony-1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over    Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria gigantia which keeps toppling over
Page 1 of 1