Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Id for a mature mam

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Id for a mature mam Empty
PostSubject: Id for a mature mam   Id for a mature mam Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 8:49 pm

I was told this is the place to go for this.  I bought this as a small 99 cent cactus back in the early 90's.  My best guess is a M. spinosissima ssp. spinosissima, but that's what I've been calling it for now.  At some point in the late 90's it either became decumbent or suffered an infestation that wiped out all the others in my collection at the time.  I assumed it was a goner like the others and I abandoned it in the garage, and found it growing upright again the following spring.  It is now somewhat growing on it's side now with several pups on top.  It grows pink flowers that are usually too small to get past the spines, but heavily fruits with easily germinated seeds that are a reddish color.  The first picture is the most recent, the second is of the only flower picture I have from about 5 years ago, 3rd is a top view.  Id for a mature mam Img_0210
Id for a mature mam Mammil10
Id for a mature mam Img_2210 Id for a mature mam Img_0212

Size: The tallest is 9 inches from the soil line and has several more under, like I said, all those pups are growing off the side. All the roots are actually in front of that pup in the front. So it might actually have at least 4 more inches on it, if not more. All pups included it's 9 inches wide, the larger alone is 3 inches wide. I don't really remember when it started pupping, I didn't pay much attention to it until about 7 years ago. But I would estimate it to be at least 35 years old based off their growth. I can also provide pictures of seeds and seedlings if that helps.
Back to top Go down
jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Id for a mature mam   Id for a mature mam Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 8:57 am

I'd say Mammillaria columbiana.
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Id for a mature mam   Id for a mature mam Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2018 2:24 am

jfabiao wrote:
I'd say Mammillaria columbiana.
That certainly looks much closer than my guess. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Id for a mature mam   Id for a mature mam Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2018 2:22 pm

I think jfabiao is right, that species can grow tall and have many offsets.

PostSubject: Re: Id for a mature mam   Id for a mature mam Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 12:40 am

Chris43 wrote:
I think jfabiao is right, that species can grow tall and have many offsets.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Id for a mature mam   Id for a mature mam Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Id for a mature mam
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mammillaria Society Forum :: MAIN SECTION :: Identification-
Jump to: