Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Experimental sowing.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
PVV1962

PVV1962

Number of posts : 594
Registration date : 2016-10-04

Experimental sowing.  Empty
PostSubject: Experimental sowing.    Experimental sowing.  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi all !

Experimental sowing.  P1010136

I want to share my experience of growing cacti from seed.
I always wondered how it's done.

I have to say. I don't do a mass planting of 100 or more seeds.
Tend to buy in different places for 10-30 seeds of different species.

Experimental sowing.  P1010137

Recently seeds from the vendors that come in plastic zip-bags.
This greatly facilitates the initial cleaning and sterilization.
Back to top Go down
PVV1962

PVV1962

PostSubject: Re: Experimental sowing.    Experimental sowing.  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Because seeds have different germination rate, then there is the problem of finding not who rise of seeds in the seed substrate. In order to avoid this problem, I used a very convenient and cheap mineral.

Experimental sowing.  Img_8610

Experimental sowing.  Img_8611

Experimental sowing.  Img_8612

Experimental sowing.  P1010138

After the repair I was left with a little glass wool. This inert and refractory material perfectly lends itself to all kinds of chemical and heat treatment.

In addition, its layer structure is perfectly amenable to splitting and cutting with scissors.
He has significant moisture content and at the same time permeable to air.
It can be used as ion exchanger.

ATTENTION! As a warning, and some security I recommend only work with moist material!
Back to top Go down
PVV1962

PVV1962

PostSubject: Re: Experimental sowing.    Experimental sowing.  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 10:41 pm

So I used a variety of capacities for germination, and the technique of working with glass wool was different.

Especially not spent. In the course went containers for salads of different heights and shapes, from the bottoms of PET bottles. The main requirement is transparency.

Experimental sowing.  Img_8515

Experimental sowing.  Img_8517

Experimental sowing.  Img_8516

Experimental sowing.  Img_8613

Experimental sowing.  Img_8710

Experimental sowing.  P1010082

Experimental sowing.  P1010140

Experimental sowing.  P1010141

I soak seeds in a weak solution of Maxim, about one day. Use boiled rainwater.
I changed the soaking time from 12 hours to 48 hours. Improve germination with the increase of aging are noticed.

Experimental sowing.  P1010139

(When does the containers, I used the zip packages. )

Once i've used up all of the containers, i'd start using zip bags. (I used the services of a live interpreter.) Smile.

As you can see, the seeds germinate in them.
The only drawback of the bag - uncomfortable afterwards-pulling seedlings. Smile.
Back to top Go down
Marek L

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2016-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Experimental sowing.    Experimental sowing.  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 4:50 pm

A very interesting method. Do not have problems with the roots of small seedlings when you change the place of growth? How many time seedlings grow on this substrate?
Back to top Go down
PVV1962

PVV1962

PostSubject: Re: Experimental sowing.    Experimental sowing.  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2018 11:06 am

Marek, Your question will help me. I continue the story.

One advantage of this method is to maximize the preservation of the root system.
I was sowing on different bases. Filter paper, gelatin, fine sand, perlite and zeolite.
Paper: the roots grow into the substrate. And when you transfer it to burst. Bad and not comfortable.
Gelatin: when the temperature began to melt and the seeds sank to the bottom of the container. Bad, need constant monitoring.
Perlite: everybody is familiar with this material. Bad, it is lighter than water, dusty - I did not like.
Sand and zeolite: here who like to adapt. Leave these minerals in our Arsenal.

Stone wool. I use for seeding the Foundation with a thickness of 5 mm, the fibers are arranged horizontally.
In containers is done the drainage hole with the syringe needle. Great zip package for the size of the container.

If I'm leaving the place of germination for a long time or do not find time to control, nothing terrible happens.
Within 2-3 weeks after sowing I monitor the temperature and lighting.
If successful germination of seeds, glass wool is transferred to the pot 5x5cm Pot half filled with a mixture of mineral origin, the fraction of 1-3 mm. On this substrate is laid sprouts with glass wool. Then spend filling seedlings to hold that drunken forests and prevent eutrophication of surface algae.
Without tampering with the root system I make the transfer of the seedlings into a more nutritious base.
I can do the transfer indefinitely. If the seeds show a 150% germination rate and will start to push each other, it is possible to divide the substrate into several parts.
Now the seedlings are under a common cover with more light. Zip packages are removed.

Experimental sowing.  Img_8711

Experimental sowing.  P1010142

Experimental sowing.  M_boca11

V.
Back to top Go down
Marek L

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2016-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Experimental sowing.    Experimental sowing.  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2018 6:49 pm

Thank you very much for your answer. I like this method. Maybe he will apply it this year. He will inform about the results.
How long does it take for the roots to overgrow the wool to the mineral substrate?
Back to top Go down
PVV1962

PVV1962

PostSubject: Re: Experimental sowing.    Experimental sowing.  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2018 11:08 pm

Hi all!
As I mentioned, the roots are badly fixed on the glass wool. I suspect that they are very weak and small.
Roots do not need to look for moisture and food, all close by.
Especially when glass wool constantly wet. It is a kind of hydroponics.

The first time the seeds germinate and do not require additional power. When most of the seedlings have sprouted, perhaps a light fertilizing with microelements 1:100. Agrecol gel mineral. I moistened the substrate. The first seedlings are in common containers and the sprayer is dangerous, it is possible to mix seeds with water.
When the seedlings sprouted and I don't want to wait, I pull out the seeds. The seedlings remain on the glass wool and transferred into a pot screenings. As a result, I increased the height of the substrate 3-4 cm to the outflow of moisture in the lower part of the substrate. Wool is almost dry. For 3-4 months, the roots reach the bottom of the pot (coryphanthas). I poured screenings above (6 cm) and seedlings with fibrous root system grew worse.
The pots are placed in the pan, a little water on the bottom. Move the seedlings under a large dome.
Of a mixture of minerals. This small screening of different neutral rocks of the igneous origin of granite different types, which I always collect during my field trips, zeolite, river sand, crushed brick. 1-3 mm. .
I just rigged a method of growing from seed under your conditions and habits.
V.

If several times to translate the word into different languages, it may lose the original meaning. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
PVV1962

PVV1962

PostSubject: Re: Experimental sowing.    Experimental sowing.  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 6:52 pm

Continue.

Experimental sowing.  Img_8816

The first two weeks of seeds were under weak light diode lamps.
As the germination I moved the seedlings in a lighted place.
1 m2 100 W lamps. Manual Assembly. The diodes are white and red in the ratio 50\50.
The height of the diodes above the seedlings 15 cm.

A month has passed after the start of the planting season.
I propose to read two lists. Red ink note on additional shoots.
1. it's been two weeks.
2. it's been four weeks.
Experimental sowing.  Img_8712

Experimental sowing.  Img_8820

In the beginning of the article I asked you not to throw the zeolite and sand. The size of 1-2 mm will be useful.
It's time for powder!
Seed treatment before sowing Maxim delivered me from the mold.
But after a month started showing up pockets of algae.
The charm of the sowing is over, comes the harsh everyday struggle for survival.
I select who rise not seeds.
Seedlings that appeared over a month, with glass wool is transferred to 2-cm layer of drainage.
Sprinkle small zeolite-sand mixture. Each type needs its own pot.
The pots are installed in a common container and placed in a covered greenhouse-propagator.

Experimental sowing.  Img_8818

Experimental sowing.  Img_8817

Experimental sowing.  Img_8819

Zip packages are deleted. Watering takes place from the tray. Through the transparent walls of the pots I see the degree of saturation of the substrate with water.
Powder can shade the surface of the glass and to limit the spread of algae.
In some places I resorted to spraying with hydrogen peroxide. Watch.
Heating is done from below. A fragment of floor heating.

cheers  I hasten to add that all the seeds on this list have been kindly provided by our colleague from Sunny Lisbon.

Experimental sowing.  Img_8815

Experimental sowing.  Img_8814

As you can see the seeds withstand any manipulation. Of course, within reasonable limits. Smile.
Back to top Go down
jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Experimental sowing.    Experimental sowing.  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2018 10:08 am

How is the experiment going, Vladimir?
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Experimental sowing.    Experimental sowing.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Experimental sowing.
Page 1 of 1