Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What do I have here?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

What do I have here? Empty
PostSubject: What do I have here?   What do I have here? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 23, 2017 5:26 am

I recieved this plant in the divesting of a club member's plants when he could not take care of them. I have several others that are precious and I suspect this one maybe, if only for its size. The spines are pectinate, otherwise the surface is smooth. And what is up with this plant, fatter in the middle, and all dark? Is this dirt or age? Sorry about the sideways image, I can't figure out how to fix it.

What do I have here? 20171011
Back to top Go down
jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: What do I have here?   What do I have here? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 am

Hard to say without the flowers, but I would suggest Mammillaria tlalocii.
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: What do I have here?   What do I have here? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 23, 2017 4:51 pm

I will see what I can do to get them. Thanks much.
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: What do I have here?   What do I have here? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi, I would agree this is most likely m. crucigera subs. tlalocii. The odd shapes are due to age, the widths of the bands are growth "rings", rather similar to a tree. The plant in time will slowly produce a column, becoming pendulous in shape with age. It usually remains solitary. Flowers should appear as carmine coloured from the plants shoulder rather than the apex.
Back to top Go down
delandmo

PostSubject: Re: What do I have here?   What do I have here? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2017 1:36 pm

As an add to, another possibility is that if the flowers turn out not to be red and indeed are white and grow in the usual place from the apex, then it could be m. chionocephala a form of formosa. I see it has a label, anything on there that might give us a clue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do I have here?   What do I have here? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2017 3:12 pm

I checked that label which said M. oteroi, I turned it over and found M. tlalocii, so it rests until it blooms. My search was to get it off oteroi, which it surely was not. Here's to a flower!
Back to top Go down
delandmo

PostSubject: Re: What do I have here?   What do I have here? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2017 10:38 pm

I would say that confirms it. Its got to be m. tlalocii. Flowers should prove it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do I have here?   What do I have here? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do I have here?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mammillaria Society Forum :: MAIN SECTION :: Identification-
Jump to: