Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Albilanata vs. supertexta...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mmartic

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2013-05-21

Albilanata vs. supertexta... Empty
PostSubject: Albilanata vs. supertexta...   Albilanata vs. supertexta... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 7:01 am

Are there any easy and clear marks to separate and identify Mamm. albilanata (especialy ssp oaxacana) from mamm. supertexta?!? I have a few plants very similar (and bought without labels) and I'm always confused with them Sad
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Albilanata vs. supertexta...   Albilanata vs. supertexta... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 1:38 pm

I agree it can be difficult, both make woolly white spined plants. Some forms can be more easily separated but with some, I must admit to being stumped.

According to the descriptions, albilanata oaxacana is to 12cm tall, 13 to 27 radial spines, 1-6 central spines 4 to 7mm long, tipped brown. supertexta is similarly tall, 16-18 radial spines, and 0 to 2 central spines, short, 3-5mm only and tipped yellow to black.

Clearly they overlap in pure numeric terms, and while the supertexta forms which have no central spines, or only 2 very short ones, are relatively easy to separate from the rest, some forms are just similar to albilanata. The ssp. oaxacana includes quite a number of obsoleted species names, and some of these have a distinct appearance, but the botanists say they are the same.

I sometimes wonder what a DNA analysis would say about these? Their distribution areas overlap to some degree. Is there really a difference? Or is it that because supertexta is the older name that they have been left un-lumped?

mmartic

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2013-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Albilanata vs. supertexta...   Albilanata vs. supertexta... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 6:25 am

Thank's Chris. I also found somewhere that alilanata's flower are "very small" comparing to supertexta's "small". But most of the plant's I can see on the net are almost identical... I'll wait for my plants to grow more and flower more so maybe I'm gonna get some differences.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Albilanata vs. supertexta...   Albilanata vs. supertexta... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Albilanata vs. supertexta...
Page 1 of 1