Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Mammillaria ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
andrejpr
special poster
special poster
andrejpr

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-07-17

New Mammillaria ? Empty
PostSubject: New Mammillaria ?   New Mammillaria ? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 4:00 pm

This is for sure a new Mammillaria and I think a brachytrichion with hooked spines or a form between pennispinosa and brachytrichion. I have this plants in my collection!!!!

New Mammillaria ? 2r6ig4z
Back to top Go down
ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

New Mammillaria ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Mammillaria ?   New Mammillaria ? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 4:03 pm

Hallo Andrej,
This is probably the same "new" mammillaria that I've been talking about in the topic from 12-12-2007: "new mammillaria". Yours is much bigger and with yours you can compare with pennispinosa and brachytrichion. With the feathery spines it looks more like pennispinosa, but radial spine color is different on the first sight.
I think that a certain Mr Tompson found this nice plant and it will probably bare his name, so it will be Mammillaria tompsonii. Could you post a picture with the fully open flowers?

andrejpr
special poster
special poster
andrejpr

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-07-17

New Mammillaria ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Mammillaria ?   New Mammillaria ? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Hello,
Your wish is my command!
New Mammillaria ? 11ajs5c
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

New Mammillaria ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Mammillaria ?   New Mammillaria ? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 4:06 pm

This is an interesting plant - the flowers look close to pennispinosa, but of course, the spines are not so feathery, and there are more centrals, though only the one hooked spine. I can understand the suggestion that it may be also close to brachytrichion, though the flowers are different and the degree of pubescence on the spines much less, and a different central spine count. Both come from a similar region of Mexico.
These members of the Stylothelae do seem to throw up a lot of variants don't they! I remeber when I first had a plant of M. puberula, with pubescent spines and then was surprised to learn that it was considered just a form of M. crinita! I wonder if there are other variations on this theme still awaiting discovery between Durango and Coahuila from where pennispinosa and brachytrichion come from? And if there are, whether the lumpers will then start to do what they have with M. haageana for example - which could of course be right from a purely scientific point of view, though hardly descriptive of some of the more distinctive of our plants from a cultural point of view.
Anyway regardless of name - I would welcome such a plant in my collection - from whence does it come? Any offers?? or seed??

Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

New Mammillaria ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Mammillaria ?   New Mammillaria ? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 4:07 pm

I was checking my maps today, and these three plants (brachytrichion, pennispinosa and the new plant) all come from the north of the state of Durango.
M. brachytrichion is reported from General Escobedo, M. pennispinosa from between Mapimi and Bermijillo, and the new plant from Arroyo del Canallo in the commune of Coneto de Comonfort. I have checked the distances between these locations and the direct line distance between General Escobedo and Mapimi is about 135km, between General Escobedo and Arroyo del Caballo about 85km, and between Mapimi an Arroyo del Caballo about 115km. These locations form an inverted triangle with Arroyo del Caballo at the apex or further south.
I note that very close to Mapimi is Ojuelo, the location, I believe of Reppenhagens ojuelensis.
Having checked through some of my books, while a number of other Mamms come from Durango, in the north there seem to be only two - nazasensis and sinistrohamata. This last one is reported (along with many others) from Minas Navidad, the same location as the type location as nazasensis. This is less than 30km from Arroyo del Caballo.
I also have read that Luethy in his classification sinks brachytrichion, pennispinosa and nazasensis beneath sinistrohamata.
I think that this just says they are all closely related - for me it is a distinct form and well worth cultivating - no matter what name it ends up with.

Sponsored content

New Mammillaria ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Mammillaria ?   New Mammillaria ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Mammillaria ?
Page 1 of 1