Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state Empty
PostSubject: Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state   Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 12:42 pm

I have been checking out this site for a while now and have gathered quite a bit of great information that has helped me manage my cactus much more successfully. I.v been growing some Cactus for about 10 years now with varied success. It can be very humid here and can be rainy for days.
I get most of my Cactus from mail order nursery's including Mesa Garden in New Mexico and Miles To Go in Arizona and some from nursery's around town.
I grow most of my plants outside during the summer months but a few of the finicky Mamms stay under cover.
I'm looking forward to great times spent on this forum.

Best

Bob
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state   Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi Bob,
I can imagine humidity can be troublesome, but from the look of your avatar pic you have risen to the challenge!
Looking at the map your city is not far from the I-20, for me a well travelled route from Dallas to the delights of West Texas and beyond, 5 trips so far...and hoping for more yet.

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state   Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi Chris

Yes humidity can be a problem here but not nearly as bad as in the southern part of the state. I-20 does run through downtown Shreveport. I have to say I'v only been as far as Fort worth on I-20. I.v never been Cactus hunting but I would imagine it would be a lot of fun for sure. I have been to South and Central America 5 times hunting Bromeliads. Twice to Ecuador and three times to Costa Rica.
Below are a couple of pictures of some of my plants taken last summer.
Best
Bob
Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state Img_3012Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state Img_3410
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state   Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2015 9:23 pm

A splendid exhibition! The plants seems to be very well cared for and show no signs of a damp climate. The plants I saw in Colombian cloudforest had green algea growing all over them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state   Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks Thord

I do enjoy my Cactus a lot and try to keep them in good condition. Around here if you keep them under potted and provide a very well draining soil the occasional monsoon will be tolerated. Clay pots also give a help in drying out after a rainy episode. Although it can be wet for several days here we have nothing like a cloud forest type weather.

Thanks
Bob
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state   Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone from Louisiana the bayou state
Page 1 of 1