Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Repot or not?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Repot or not? Empty
PostSubject: Repot or not?   Repot or not? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 1:56 am

Hi, I've just joined the forum so hello to everyone here. I am looking for some advice on whether or not to repot a big mammillaria I have. I have had it for sixteen or seventeen years and it used to flower every year but hasn't flowered since it was last repotted three years ago, it has grown since then but no flowers, maybe because the pot is too big and deep for it? The picture was taken during the winter and it is now spending the summer in my greenhouse and I'll probably bring it back inside in October, last year was my first time having a greenhouse. So do you think I should repot it into something smaller/shallower? It would be nice for it to flower again next year. Also I think it is Mammillaria bombycina??? I used to have it's name years ago but the tag is long gone. Thanks, Chris.

https://2img.net/h/i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc280/fluffy_stitch_jodi/P9230034.jpg
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Repot or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repot or not?   Repot or not? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 3:34 pm

Tes, I think it is M. bombycina as well.

It looks to me as though it could do with repotting again, and I'd use a large bowl type of pot rather than a deeper one like it is in now. However, I wouldn't think that this has much to do with whether it flowers or not.

I don't know where you live, but M. bombycina can take quite low temperatures, maybe down to 4C without too much issue. It's habitat is on rocks in the foothills of the Sierra Madre Oriental at about 2000m. I think that winter and spring light level have quite a lot to do with whether a plant flowers or not, though I have one clone of M. bombycina which though now with about 20 heads has never flowered for me, though it is next in my greenhouse to another clone which flowers regularly each year. They have the same soil, same light, same temperature and humidity, and same watering.

So all really I can recommend from my experience of this species is to try to give it as much light in early Spring as possible, before you start it into growth, and get it into your greenhouse as soon as your climate allows.

Repot or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repot or not?   Repot or not? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 11:28 pm

Ok thanks for the advice, I do have a terracotta bowl pot but it might be too big so I might see about cutting the pot it is in in half with an angle grinder. I was thinking of leaving it in the greenhouse unless frost is predicted but maybe not, I don't want to risk it dying on me. I was also thinking of taking a few cuttings from it when I repot too. Thanks, Chris.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Repot or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repot or not?   Repot or not? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Repot or not?
Page 1 of 1