Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria melaleuca

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

Mammillaria melaleuca Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria melaleuca   Mammillaria melaleuca Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Mammillaria melaleuca
From J.Pilbeam "Mammillaria" pag.187:
Radial spines, 8 or 9 slender, almost stright, the upper the longer, divided into two distinct colours, hence the specific name (melaleuca means black and white), the lower 5 spines being white, the others above purplish brown.
From seeds coming from Czech Republic this strange Mammillaria melaleuca.
Did anybody seen a plant whit this strange radial spines yet?

Mammillaria melaleuca -2013018

Mammillaria melaleuca Melale10

Mammillaria melaleuca Melale11

Mammillaria melaleuca Melale12
Back to top Go down
maurillio

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria melaleuca   Mammillaria melaleuca Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 6:42 pm

My Mammillaria melaleuca "normal".........

Mammillaria melaleuca 3376-210
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria melaleuca   Mammillaria melaleuca Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi Maurillo,

I have observed something similar. I had 1 melaleuca which fitted the Pilbeam description very well, upper and central spines dark, lower radial spines white. When this plant almost rotted away (I could save two small offsets, which are mature now), I sowed the seeds of a fruit which was present. From these seeds I succeeded in growing 1 plant which looks quite a lot like your abnormal melaleuca, more radials than normal melaleuca and all radials are white. To me it also feels like the tubercles are softer than for the normal melaleuca. I think that my abnormal melaleuca is a hybrid, possibly with M. sphaerica or another dolichothele.
Attached are two habitat photos of M. melaleuca, growing in forest. Photos are not of very good quality, because of the poor light in the forest.

Wolter ten Hoeve.

Mammillaria melaleuca Img_6210

Mammillaria melaleuca Img_6211
Back to top Go down
maurillio

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria melaleuca   Mammillaria melaleuca Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 pm

I thought a "forma intermedia" baumii/melaleuca.
The two are from Tamaulipas (and sphaerica).
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria melaleuca   Mammillaria melaleuca Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 9:33 am

Here is a photo of my normal melaleuca (right) and of the abnormal melaleuca (left), grown from seed collected from the normal melaleuca. It must therefore be a hybrid and (as more or less suggested by Maurillo) it could be that the other parent has been M. baumii instead of M. sphaerica.
Note the similarity between Maurillo's abnormal melaleuca and my abnormal melaleuca.

Wolter ten Hoeve.

Mammillaria melaleuca Img_9210
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria melaleuca   Mammillaria melaleuca Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:19 pm

Certainly something odd about those "variants". I suppose that since M. melaleuca and M. baumii are in the Dlocothele subgenus then they are pretty close. The fact that they are also close geographically is interesting.

But don't say too much or some English botanist will lump them together. Smile 

And for further comparison, here are a couple of photos of the M. melaleuca that I saw last year.

First one in bud, north of Palmillas:

Mammillaria melaleuca 2012-010

and again, a multi-headed one at the same location:

Mammillaria melaleuca 2012-011

We also found it sw of Jaumave, but for some reason it seems that I didn't take its photo!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria melaleuca   Mammillaria melaleuca Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria melaleuca
Page 1 of 1