Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ID mammillaria

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

ID mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: ID mammillaria   ID mammillaria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Anybody can ID this mammillaria?

ID mammillaria Mwip1012
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

ID mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID mammillaria   ID mammillaria Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi, (and welcome). Glad you could get the image posting to work.

My thoughts on this plant is that it might be a form of M. glassii v. ascencionis. Its a bit pale flowered, but I know there are pale flowered forms. It doesn;t offset as much as the type, and has rather larger heads. and longer central spines as well.

But I am not 100% certain, and hope others will offer their ideas.

ID mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID mammillaria   ID mammillaria Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 10:31 am

Thanks, Cris.
I have some other ascensionis,(that are now hovering flower buds) smaller and its appearance is different (less hairy and central spine shorter), but yes, this could be one ascensionis.
Before I had my doubts. I favored some form of lasiacantha but long hairs and central spines also made ​​me doubt.
Nex days i will send som pics of mams (magallanis, denudata, lasiacantha...???). They began to bloom for two or three weeks.
Saludos.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

ID mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID mammillaria   ID mammillaria Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 11:17 am

I'm sure that it isn't M. magallani or lasiacantha. There is a form of M. glassii which was called siberiensis that is a large headed form, and doesn't offset much. It is quite hairy as well, so worth checking on.

woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

ID mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID mammillaria   ID mammillaria Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 8:00 pm

It could be M. gasseriana (= viescensis), although the flowers seem a bit on the large side for that species.
I have added two photos of M. gasseriana in habitat near El Amparo, Coahuila, and these habitat plants look quite similar to your plant.

Wolter ten Hoeve, Assen, The Netherlands.

ID mammillaria Img_1610

ID mammillaria Img_1611
Back to top Go down

ID mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID mammillaria   ID mammillaria Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks woltertenhoever. 'll remember.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

ID mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID mammillaria   ID mammillaria Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 12:25 pm

Good one, Wolter. The habitat plants do look very similar, though the flowers certainly are a bit different, at least on the couple of viescensis that I have.

ID mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID mammillaria   ID mammillaria Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Guys,

Just to throw another name into the ring... the plant at the start of this thread looks much like some plants that I had that were labelled M.pennispinosa nazasensis SB 489. I think I got them at Cactus show year's ago and they are no longer with me. I have a photo but am unable to post it.
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

ID mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID mammillaria   ID mammillaria Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi, First of all, if he is still connected to our forum, I'd like to say how nice it is to hear from Tam again. I hope this is not a one off and will participate in many more topics in the future.

Regarding the current topic I too had thoughts towards gasseriana, but felt the flower was somewhat different. Also, into my considerations was pennispinosa as well, with a flower nearer to the first picture. Derek
Back to top Go down

ID mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID mammillaria   ID mammillaria Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi Derek,

I've been looking in on regular basics but not posted. I have had a complete change in my situtation, but I am still growing these wonderful plants. I can only come and go has and when. I hope you will all understand.

Best Wishes to all.
Back to top Go down

ID mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID mammillaria   ID mammillaria Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 10:34 am

Hola Tam:
Thanks for your opinion, but
I've been looking and Pealbeam says that both, pennispinosa as nazasensis, have spines feathery and pubescent.
In the photos I've seen of both species the overall look is as feathery , however, the spines of mine are fine and feathery.
Saludos.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

ID mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID mammillaria   ID mammillaria Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 12:03 pm

It is difficult to tell from the photo whether the spines are pubescent or not, as nazacensis is supposed to show pubescence. However, the plant sthat I have (SB489 and TL773) dont show much pubescence if any at all. And ot be honest, though Pilbeam talks about pubescence, his bottom photo doesn't look like it has much either!

So, I can't really decide, and would like to wait until we see if there is any fruit, as that of nazacensis and gasseriana are not the same, nor is the seed, gasseriana being a dull grey black, and nazacensis being a bit more glossy black.

Sponsored content

ID mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID mammillaria   ID mammillaria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ID mammillaria
Page 1 of 1