Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ID these pls

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

ID these pls  Empty
PostSubject: ID these pls    ID these pls  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 5:26 pm

after many frustrating searches i have yet to properly ID these 2 cacti hope the pics are quality enough for a positive ID....sorry if they are a bit large

[img]ID these pls  D_110[/img]

ID these pls  D_210

ID these pls  Unknow10

ID these pls  Unknow11

Back to top Go down
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

ID these pls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID these pls    ID these pls  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 5:32 pm

the first could be m.melanocentra.
Back to top Go down

ID these pls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID these pls    ID these pls  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 5:47 pm

maurillio i think you are correct on that i just looked at many pics and it is an exact match on all ID factors THANK YOU!! could the second one possibly be this as well? i am unsure if this genus can multiply the number of spines over years of growth or not...it also appears in the second cacti that the top most center spines are curving upwards as they grow if that helps
Back to top Go down
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

ID these pls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID these pls    ID these pls  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 6:26 pm

the second plant is really young and don't remember me something knew.....
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

ID these pls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID these pls    ID these pls  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 pm

I don't recognise the second plant either, but it is stil quite young. The spines do develop as the plant ages, in most species. There are some in which the radial sipnes seem to drop off, such as M. sempervivi, and others in which the spines grow much stronger and longer and sometimes more numerous as well, as the plant ages. This last sort are by far in the majority.

You don't get the major change in spination that happens with Coryphantha for example, though.

ID these pls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID these pls    ID these pls  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 3:07 am

thank you very much for the info chris i guess i will tag it as an unknown mammillaria for the moment and just see what it does as it goes and try to id it later.....the more i research the more i learn how complicated the cacti species truly are give me a lot more respect for such a diverse and beautiful species...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ID these pls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID these pls    ID these pls  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ID these pls
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mammillaria Society Forum :: MAIN SECTION :: Identification-
Jump to: