Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria.....?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria.....? Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria.....?   Mammillaria.....? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 12:17 pm

Last year I bought these plants as M. gigantea and M. brandegeei v. magadalenensis ( M. brandegeei with red flower?)
Can you help me?
Thank's
Marco

Mammillaria.....? P1040810

Mammillaria.....? P1040811
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Mammillaria.....? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria.....?   Mammillaria.....? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 1:37 pm

I don't think the first is M. grusonii, but I would suggest it is closer to M. petterssonii in its hamiltonhoytea form perhaps, or perhaps gigantea. The upwards curving, slightly shorter central spine is quite reminiscent of M. wagneriana.

This whole complex - gigantea, petterssonii, wagerniana, obscura - show similarities as well as some differences.

My final guess for a name - wagneriana. But others probably know better......

I don't know the red flowered form of M. brandegeei, but see it was described in the Looseleaf data shets of the AfM. If anyone has these, could they advise Marco?

Mammillaria.....? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria.....?   Mammillaria.....? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 7:33 pm

M.brandegeei isn't published in the Looseleaf data sheets of the AfM yet.

The flowers looks very pink for Baja Mamms. But on Isla Magdalena there maybe other rules.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Mammillaria.....? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria.....?   Mammillaria.....? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 9:46 am

Hi Robby,
According to the index or the Loose-Leaf data sheets, Mammillaria brandegeei v magdalenensis was mentioned in 2001 as a n.n. I don;t know what the other symbols on the index entry mean, but they are: 1 Bl. /1 S.; FB : 0, SW : 0, REM : 0
It probably is time I acquired a set of these data sheets, as they do appear to have a lot of interesting forms mentioned. I don;t know how much detail is written about this v. magdalenensis.

Mammillaria.....? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria.....?   Mammillaria.....? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 2:14 pm

I would go with M.wagneriana for the first plant and the above is my plant of L 1529 for comparison.

Mammillaria.....? 183_4-10

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria.....? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria.....?   Mammillaria.....? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 5:07 pm

Hi Chris,

sorry, you are right. I didn't sort the NN-Mamms yet in my folder.

Now I found the description and I try to translate the facts:

M.brandegeei var. magdalenensis is only a name from a plantlist of SCHWARZ from 1955 without any details.
In 1961 BACKEBERG gave a comment in his book 'Die Cactaceae'. The difference to the type are longer centrals up to 2,4cm and a larger flower up to 1,5cm. No further details and no information about the color. MOTTRAM made mention of this name in 1980, too.

The "Loseblattsammlung" from the AfM ist a fantastic work about our Mammillarias. A very big THX to Mr. Linzen for his great job! But.. it's only in German language.

Robby
Back to top Go down

Mammillaria.....? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria.....?   Mammillaria.....? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 6:31 pm

Do you think that the second plant is a M. brandegeeii?
Marco
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mammillaria.....? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria.....?   Mammillaria.....? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria.....?
Page 1 of 1