Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

About my collection

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Anthony 1

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-03-13

About my collection Empty
PostSubject: About my collection   About my collection Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Hello everyone
I have a number of Mamms. that are currently in flower.However, I am not sure how to post images or what size they should be.

Can you please help in this.

Many thanks

Anthony J Morris
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: About my collection   About my collection Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi Anthony,
Take a look at the thread titled "Using the Forum's own image hosting service" in the section called Guidance. That should take you through how to get your image uploaded, and resized if it is more than 800 pixels wide.
If you are able to resize to 800 wide before you upload, then you will save upload time, but it isn't necessary to do so.
If this doesn;t work for you, drop me a pm.

PostSubject: Re: About my collection   About my collection Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Hello everyone.
I have recently joined this forum and Chris has already answered some questions for me. I only have a small collection of mammillarias - 14 in total - and one escobaria minima. I also have a mixed bag of 51 other cacti which are NOT mammillarias so I guess it might be sacrilegious to make any mention of them!
I have been reading through the topics a little at a time and I feel rather daunted by the collectors who mention cacti numbers and habitats so I can see I have much to learn. I am a beginner collector and would welcome any advice about the best miniature and easy types to grow. I have an 8ft by 8ft greenhouse with electricity laid on. Due to last winter's abnormal weather i.e. snow, I could not get down my garden to put any heat on and at the time I only had 16 cacti. I expected to lose the lot but in actual fact I only lost two. Tough little survivors but I will not risk that again.
Well I guess that will do for now. I've already warned Chris that I have many, many questions, so brace yourselves!

flower

Liz
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: About my collection   About my collection Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 2:29 am

Hi I'm Derek , I joined the forum today. I used to be into cacti in a big way back in the 70's,80's & early 90's. We moved house in the mid 80's to my present address and all was well for a couple of years. Then I started getting the odd pane of glass being broken on a regular basis, which increased to almost total destruction of my greenhouse and plants. I was absolutely distraught! Now twenty years on it seems the culprits have grown up and moved on. With the introduction of polycarbonate and now my retirement and more spare time I've decided to give it another go! I've recently acquired some twenty odd seedlings from TAM and more larger plants from a local cacti nursery and will keep my fingers crossed. I have re-visited my old club in N.E. Surrey this week and met up with old members, including Bill Maddams and Terry Smale. Enjoyed it a lot and will certainly be going back. In amongst the twenty or so seedlings, TAM also sent me a cutting from Sonorensis H.He mentions about Sonorensis H and the new field no.GF 1599 attributed to it and recent publications in the journal by Bill comfirm this.Once the cutting has settled in I will be showing Bill at the next meeting for his approval. I must say that the world of cacti has moved on a lot now, since I was last collecting, with many new plants about to remember, I feel like a novice again! Good growing,regards Derek.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: About my collection   About my collection Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 10:50 am

Welcome back then, Derek.

There are lots of lovely plants, in many genera, to enjoy. Perhaps not quite so many new discoveries in the last 10 years in Mammillaria compared with what has happened in some South American genera, but what has developed is the range of new forms of old species names that are now available.

This richness of forms, tempting though it is for some to give them species names, lets us to know a bit more about the plants than just completing the "tick list" of species.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: About my collection   About my collection Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

About my collection
Page 1 of 1