Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

M.schiedeana giselae

Go down 
AuthorMessage

giselae - M.schiedeana giselae  Empty
PostSubject: M.schiedeana giselae    giselae - M.schiedeana giselae  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 7:25 pm

In flower today, M.schideana giselae H.O. ( Heins Otto ) 485.

giselae - M.schiedeana giselae  Img_1510

This plant was grown from seed from the AfM 2007 seedlist. Sown 18-11-07, germinated 30-11-07.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: M.schiedeana giselae    giselae - M.schiedeana giselae  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 7:43 pm

This second plant is M.schiedeana giselae ML ( Michel Lacoste ) 677 and was grown from seed that came from Lacoste via the Doug Rowland 2006 seedlist. Sown 29-5-06, germinated 6-6-06.

giselae - M.schiedeana giselae  Ml_67714

Althought the two collections are from the same location, Cerro Bufa de Diente, San Carlos, Tamps, the plants and slightly different.
The H.O.485 plants all have these large fat bodies with few offsets and the flowers are white.
The ML 677 plants all a lot smaller bodied and are more freely offseting while the flowers are pink.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: M.schiedeana giselae    giselae - M.schiedeana giselae  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Nice to see the white flowering form. Never seen it before.

Wiebe
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: M.schiedeana giselae    giselae - M.schiedeana giselae  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:02 am

I acquired a white flowered clone some years ago, nearly lost it in a bad winter when my heater failed, but it is now healthy and offsetting well.

I was intrigued about the different colour spines and flowers of the while flowered form, and so I managed to contact the original discoverer of this species, Martinez-Avalos.

He told me that "En su habitat mammillaria schiedeana subsp. giselae existen algunos individuos albinos pero muchos acutores la incluyen como una forma albiflora, pero es muy comun ver este color en campo. para mi no existe una clasificacion con la forma albiflora. ".

This means (approximately!) "In the habitat of Mammillaria schiedeana ssp. giselae, there are albino plants which many authors include as f. albiflora, but it is very common to see this colour in the field. To me, a classification of f. albiflora doesn't exist"

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: M.schiedeana giselae    giselae - M.schiedeana giselae  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

M.schiedeana giselae
Page 1 of 1