Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria ID wanted

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria ID wanted Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria ID wanted   Mammillaria ID wanted Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:27 am

Hi

Was tipped off about this forum after posting a Mammillaria for ID in another cactus forum. Did get a plausible confirmation of it's speices but got told that posting it here aswell would either confirm that ID or send me hunting again.

This one, acctually aquired another one with a flower already on it for ease of ID, came labeled as M. fuscohamata from a cactus nursery down here in Australia. First one bought in a big box store and the second one straigth from the nursery. Doing alittle research online all I just about found was some controversy about the fuscohamata name.

First bigger specimen.
Mammillaria ID wanted Photo11mq.thMammillaria ID wanted Photo011fi.th

Second smaller one with a flower present.
Mammillaria ID wanted Dsc00100f.th

If you look closely both have 2 central spines, in alot of cases both are hooked. Made the bigger one a real pain to repot!
Back to top Go down
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID wanted   Mammillaria ID wanted Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:30 pm

this is my fuscohamata...

Mammillaria ID wanted Fuscoh11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID wanted   Mammillaria ID wanted Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 10:07 am

Looks very different from mine I have to say.
Guess that could have to do with what kinda life it's had though, mine is straight from a sheltered nursery and have likely never seen direct sunlight.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID wanted   Mammillaria ID wanted Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 10:11 am

Maurillio's plant looks rather different to your plants SnowFella. I don't know what your plants are, I'm afraid, but have some comments for you and others to debate, perhaps.

It is unusual for a plant of this kind (Stylothelae, Crinita group) to have multiple hooked central spines, though this Group is where it seems to me that your plants must fit best. The other possible hooked spine contenders with yellow flowers would be zacatecasensis, moelleriana, jaliscana, sinistrohamata or at a pinch rettigiana. It doesn't look like any of these to me, and the only species whose formal description allows multiple hooked spines in moelleriana!

So I come back to an unusual form of one of the crinita group. M. fuscohamata, as you have found, is a difficult name, and seems ot be applied to plants of the Crinita group and also of a form of M. jaliscana.

But I am not really sure what name to apply to your plants. Did the nursery where you got the 2nd plant tel you where they got the seed, and was there any original location data available with it?

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID wanted   Mammillaria ID wanted Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 10:27 am

Didn't even think to ask to be honest. Although with the way they operate I somehow doubt they would have that kind of information readily available, good nursery with nice variety but lots get sold with generic labels. And even though I've only had the cactus bug for a couple of months it still ticks me off when I come home with something only labeled lobivia, matucana or in worst case either cactus or spike.
Got a fair few on the shelves right now that only have a genus on the label unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID wanted   Mammillaria ID wanted Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 9:40 pm

The photo of your plant does bear similarity to the photo of M. boedekeriana in the book of Reppenhagen (volume 1, p. 180). Reppenhagen states that there can be 2- 3 copper-brown hooked centrals. For M. fuscohamata he mentions just one hooked central (plus 1 to 2 straight ones).
Other species of which Reppenhagen states that they can have more than 1 hooked central are M. jaliscana, M. zacatecasensis, M. berkiana, M. sinistrohamata, M. brevicrinita, M. schelhasii var. aurihamata.

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID wanted   Mammillaria ID wanted Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria ID wanted
Page 1 of 1