Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya? Empty
PostSubject: Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya?   Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Hey, I was searching for info on M. stella-de-tacubaya when I found your images of the two different looking plants. Is this due to location or the way you grew them? The first one looks more yellowish.
Do you happen to know it's proximity to M. perezdelarosae or M. bombycina? They all look so similar.
Back to top Go down
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya?   Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:55 pm

first two images of m.stella-de-tacubaya are in two differents conditions of light.

Last edited by maurillio on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya?   Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 11:23 am

Hi Paulzie,
M. stella-de-tacubaya as now known is very different from M. bombycina and perezdelarosae. There are a significant number of differences, not just in size and spination,m but in flower structure as well. They are geographically separate as well.

As far as colour is concerned, spine colours can vary a lot, from almost white to very dark almost black centrals - when the plant has one. You can have M. stella-de-tacubaya with no cental spines at all.

PostSubject: Re: Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya?   Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 2:53 pm

So, Basically, it's just a common Mammillaria morphology? Smile
Like M. decipiens, M. picta, M sphaerica, M. longimamma, M zephyramthoides and I now there's at least one more that has those large/long tubercles. I also have found some sites that list some of them as just different forms or subspecies of the other. Guess thats where the "lumpers" won out over the "splitters"
I've seen sites that actually list M. perezdelarosae as a subspecies or at least a close cousin of M. bombycina... so I suppose until someone does a complete DNA study of Mamms, some debates will not be settled.
I'm sure some of the Long lost cultures that were here prior to 1492 had members that were just as fascinated in cactus as we are and probably transported seeds and plants around... so I'm not convinced being from different locations means much.
A perfect example of what the people before 1492 did was to Plant HUGE Groves of American Chestnut Trees ALL Along the Appalachian Mountain range. This was not known or realized for a very long time. It was just assumed they grew naturally along the mountain ridge. Nope... The Native Americans Harvested the nuts and Maintained these Huge Groves.
If any of you like History, There's a great book called "1491" that discusses the Americas prior to "Documented" European arrival.... along with Small pox. But that's another topic.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya?   Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Well, the morpology of Mammillaria does vary quite a lot. And a lot has been written on what distinguishing features are significant enough to allow botanists to define that such and such a plant with x, y, and z characteristics is a good species.
But I'm not botanist and tend to identify plants based on their similarities to plants that I know, either from collections or from photos, and so can, and often am, wrong.
I don't know a lot about the pre-Columbian cultures in Mexico and whether they did transport plants around to a great extent. It is an interesting thought, and it might be that some species of Mammillaria had medicinal or religious significance.
If there are members who do have som einsights into this, it would make a great thread to speculate about!!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya?   Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maurillio, your M. stella-de-tacubaya?
Page 1 of 1