Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria laui?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria laui? Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria laui?   Mammillaria laui? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Here's another of my recent acquisitions. I think that it's a clump of M. laui, but I'm not 100% and I'm not sure what sub-species it is (possibly spp. laui?). The big plant pictured to the left of the Mamm. I'm trying to identify is also a M. laui. But this plant has much bigger individual heads. Possibly because it's older?

I'm afraid that I haven't seen it in flower/fruit yet.

Si

Mammillaria laui? Img_9212

Mammillaria laui? Img_9213
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Mammillaria laui? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria laui?   Mammillaria laui? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 7:50 pm

Nice plants, Simon, and again a bit of a challenge from photos.
M. laui ssp laui has stiff spines, M. laui ssp dasyacantha has spines that are more flexible, and M. laui ssp subducta has yellow centrals, so we can rule this last one out.

Between the other two, ssp. dasyacantha is supposed to have smaller heads than ssp lauii.

So I guess its up to the finger test - from the look of the two plants the one you want to identify specifically might therefore be ssp dasyacantha, but it could also just be variation due to cultivation.

Do let us know what they feel like - if there is a difference, or even if there isn't.

Mammillaria laui? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria laui?   Mammillaria laui? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 12:03 pm

Hmmm. The 'finger test' proved inconclusive.

I have a small clump of M. laui ssp. dasyacantha too (one of my favourites). The mystery plant was neither as soft as ssp. dasyacantha, nor as bristly as ssp. laui. This is beginning to sound like Goldilocks isn't it.

Oh well. Growing cacti can be frustrating sometimes. At least I can conclude that it's not ssp. subducta.

I'll enjoy growing the plant all the same.

Si
Back to top Go down
andrejpr
special poster
special poster
andrejpr

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Mammillaria laui? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria laui?   Mammillaria laui? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 1:50 pm

Simon, ohne Blüthe ohne Frucht! Vieleicht M.baumii /Dolichothele/.
Andrej
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Mammillaria laui? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria laui?   Mammillaria laui? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 4:45 pm

Hey, that is an idea...I was fixed on thinking about lauii that I didn't consider baumii as a possibility - which it could be...hope for yellow flowers next year!!
Good thinking Andrej!!

Mammillaria laui? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria laui?   Mammillaria laui? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 10:36 pm

That would be nice. I've been looking out for a baumii. Fantastic yellow flowers.

Si
Back to top Go down

Mammillaria laui? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria laui?   Mammillaria laui? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 10:48 pm

My 'mystery Mammillaria' has decided to flower. A couple of buds have just poked through the spines. How exciting! Hopefully the mystery will be solved shortly!

... Si
Back to top Go down

Mammillaria laui? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria laui?   Mammillaria laui? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 11:26 pm

Mammillaria baumii it is. What a nice suprise!

Nice one Andrej.

.... Si

Mammillaria laui? Mammil11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mammillaria laui? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria laui?   Mammillaria laui? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria laui?
Page 1 of 1