Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Leaf Cutter Bees

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Leaf Cutter Bees Empty
PostSubject: Leaf Cutter Bees   Leaf Cutter Bees Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 4:47 pm

I've a problem with Leaf Cutter Bees burrowing tunnels into the soil of my cacti pots.

I'm loathe to kill the bees. But, short of using an insecticide, don't know how to control them.

I can probably live with the mess that their excavations create, but are they likely to cause my plants any damage?

Thanks.... Si (new member of the forum)
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Leaf Cutter Bees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaf Cutter Bees   Leaf Cutter Bees Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 8:17 pm

I don't think that leaf cutter bees are a real problem, but it would depend on how much space the bee needs to construct its nest tunnel. It might cut through the roots if they are in the way.
I agree that it would be a shame to kill them, so I guess that somehow you need to develop a barrier between the open air and the soil, so the bees are no longer attracted. You could do this by, perhaps using pots with only holes at the bottom, and put a good lining of stones at the bottom; and then leave some space, maybe 1-2cm at the top of the pot and fill this with grit or gravel.
I don't know if this would work, as I haven't experienced this particular problem, but it would seem to me to be a deterrent - I hope the bee would think so too!

Leaf Cutter Bees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaf Cutter Bees   Leaf Cutter Bees Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:55 am

I had a problem with 'Leaf Cutter Bees' nesting in pots some 15 years ago, this went on for a number of years. I eventually cured it by increasing the amount of grit in the bottom of the pot and providing a deeper top dressing.
The bees didn't harm the plants, but were slightly anoying.
Back to top Go down

Leaf Cutter Bees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaf Cutter Bees   Leaf Cutter Bees Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try it out. Although, happily, the bees have disappeared. They've buzzed off (sorry!).

I remember reading something somewhere about them only breeding for a few weeks each year. So maybe that's the end of my problem for this season at least.

...... Si
Back to top Go down

Leaf Cutter Bees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaf Cutter Bees   Leaf Cutter Bees Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 2:33 pm

I had a leaf cutter bee in a mammillaria pot a few years ago. I had fun by moving the pot around on the bench. The bee always found the correct pot even when I moved it onto the floor!

My solution was to wait until the bees cleared off at the end of the season, then put mesh up against the windows to keep all bees and other insects out. I found it also cured Western Flower Thrip.
Back to top Go down

Leaf Cutter Bees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaf Cutter Bees   Leaf Cutter Bees Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 5:32 pm

Good idea Pete. Thanks.

...... Si
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Leaf Cutter Bees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaf Cutter Bees   Leaf Cutter Bees Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leaf Cutter Bees
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mammillaria Society Forum :: MAIN SECTION :: Culture-
Jump to: