Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ento

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2009-12-26

Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae   Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 8:48 pm

Mesa Garden seeds, 1999 - Bahia San Carlos
Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Sheldo10
Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Sheldo11
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae   Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 10:10 pm

That's interesting, Ento - some straight spines, some curved but not fully hooked. Quite a variable species it seems!

ento

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae   Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 8:17 pm

The first plant have only straight spines, while the second have straight and curved spines. The two plants are from the same sowing
Back to top Go down
ento

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae   Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 8:56 pm

flowers
Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Sheldo12
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae   Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 11:06 am

I do like all the sheldonii / swinglei / iniae / gueldermanniana / guirocobensis plants, their flowers are so good, and vary in colour from dark to light.

maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae   Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 9:14 am

MG 900 from mesa catalogue, is a forma of mammillaria sheldonii.
pilbeam in his mammillaria - the cactus file handbook cita...
referred to mammillaria sheldonii.....
referred or forma?
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae   Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 4:48 pm

I think it is a matter of personal choice. Many botanists don't use forma, whereas often horticulturalists and we amateurs will, usually because it adds something to our knowledge of the plant. "forma" is often used to refer to the place where this form of the plant is found, and sometimes it is used to refer to the previous name by which a plant has been known.
So we see names like M. bombycina fma. Colomas, and also M. decipiens fma. Lourdes. But we can also see M. heyderi fma. parrasensis, of of course M. sheldonii fma. swinglei.
Personally, I try to keep my naming somewhat consistent, and will use the fma. mainly to recognise a location, where the plant in question does not have a field number.
For various reasons, I tend to follow Hunt (and so Pilbeam) in species defintions, but do want to recognise earlier names, because for me they add information to the name. As a result, I will use M. bombycina fmal. Colomos, but I would write M. sheldonii 'swinglei'.
In some cases, I also use the field number, so I have plants with names like M. magnimamma Repp. 1139 'saxicola'.

The one thing you can be sure of is that if Pilbeam uses "referred" then he means that it is synonomous with the species name to which it is referred. MG900 is only a catalogue number, but it adds ot the information about the plant, and if it is a distinct form of a species, I can see no reason why you shouldn't use fma. MG900 after M. sheldonii.

I had a quick look at the ICBN, and it seems perfectly "legal" to use forma in any of the ways I have suggested.

maurillio

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae   Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 11:51 pm

my sheldonii fa inaiae...

Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae 2755-210

Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae 2755-211

Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae 2755-212
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae   Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 9:50 am

Nice photos of a nice plant, Maurillo.
M. sheldonii "iniae" is quite variable. In April, I visited Bahia San Carlos, and saw both straight spined plants and hooked spined plants, and some which had strongly curved spines, but not quite a hook. Some forms of M. sheldonii hardly seem to have a central spine at all.
This variability exists in other species in the Ancistracanthae - for example M. fraileana, M. grahamii and M. albicans - and they make for a nice group of plants. You can understand why different names were given to some of them - guirocobensis; gueldermanniana; iniae and so on.

maurillio

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae   Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 8:28 pm

from carlo zanovello collection, a mammillaria sheldonii "inaiae" with hooked central spines and another one with straight central spines.
from baja san carlos.

Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae 3285-212

Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae 3285-211

Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae 3285-210

Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae 3694-212

Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae 3694-210

Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae 3694-211

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae   Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria sheldonii fa inaiae
Page 1 of 1