Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2 Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2   Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm a little puzzled about the identity of this plant:

Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2 Pict9610

The older areoles have 5 or so spines, with the upper one when present slightly curved. From the newer areoles now, presumably as the plant matures, a very much longer downwars curving spine is being produced. The spines are creamy in colour and tipped darker. It is in a 6cm pot, so I think still quite young, and it hasn't flowered yet.

Matahuala is in the state of San Luiz Potosi, and from researches the cacti that grow around that area (from field lists etc.) are M. heyderi v. meiacantha, M. sempervivi, M. formosa, and M. centralifera / compressa.

It seems to me that the most likely, especially with that long spine is M. centralifera. Does that seem reasonable? and does anyone know who MA is and have access to a field list?

ento

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2   Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 1:34 pm

I sowed MA234.2 sp. Matehuala in 2001, the seed offered by Mammillaria Society. The seeds with the acronym MA derived from Cactus Heaven. I have not other information. I'm going to see in my photo archive if I have a plant with flowers.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2   Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 1:44 pm

I didn't remember that they came from the Mammillaria Society, but I have just read the Notes of the Seed Distribution, which sadly isn't much help as it says right at the end, "......sp. Matehuala MA 234.2 about which we know nothing".
Checking Cactus Heaven website, I see that MA234.2 is not, as I had assumed, a field collection number, but simply the catalogue reference number for this seed.
Thanks, Ento, for that information. If you have a photo of an older plant it would be interesting to compare.

woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2   Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 5:42 pm

My guess would be M. magnimamma (vagaspina). They range quite far north in the state of San Luis Potosi. The spine length can be very different, sometimes very long centrals and then on a neighbouring plant much shorter centrals.

Wolter.
Back to top Go down
ento

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2   Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Unfortunately I did not find pictures of plants with flowers, but I put two pictures taken today. When the plant will bloom, I photograph it.

Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2 11b59tz
Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2 11vl95l
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2   Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Here is a scan of a slide (scan is a bit poor quality) with a plant that I found about 20 km south of Matehuala and that I called M. magnimamma.

Wolter.

Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2 Magnim10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2   Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria sp. Matahuala MA234.2
Page 1 of 1