Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hi from Arizona

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Hi from Arizona Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Arizona   Hi from Arizona Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 9:36 pm

Hi!

My name is Norm; I am retired to Tucson, Arizona and have a fairly sizable collection of Mammillaria. They are grown outside in pots on shelves that are protected from the rain by overhead fiberglass, but are exposed on the sides. Right now in early January, there are a few species that are blooming, but the big display is still 2 or 3 months away.

I especially like to propagate (and give away excesses), take photographs, and give workshops on Mammillaria, growing cacti, and the biology of cacti.

I look forward to being a member of the forum.

Cheers!...Norm
Back to top Go down

Hi from Arizona Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Arizona   Hi from Arizona Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi Norman,

welcome to the forum. I seem to recall a chap who had a lot of Mamm photo's on the picture gallery on Mammillaria.net would that be yourself ?
You are a lucky man living in God's own Cactus country.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Hi from Arizona Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Arizona   Hi from Arizona Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 3:25 pm

Welcome indeed, Norm.

Hi from Arizona Empty
PostSubject: A bit of my background   Hi from Arizona Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I am the fellow with lots of plants pictured on mammillarias.net. Those pictures were taken some years ago - about 5 years if memory serves - so most of them are somewhat larger. And a few of them are no longer with us; having suffered at my hands they passed on.

I currently am a member of the Tucson Cactus and Succulent Society, - another site where I've posted some pictures. If you haven't checked out our web site, give it a try. (Please google Tucson Cactus and Succulent Society, as I'm not sure how to enter web addresses yet) We have over 1000 members, with around 300 of those being active in such things as cactus rescues, workshops, conventions, and such. But there are only a very few of us who specialize in particular genera...I can only think of 3 others who are ardent Mam collectors.

Living in Arizona certainly gives one an advantage as a grower. Until eight years ago, I lived on the extreme north coast of California - think redwood trees, fog, rain, and top temps being 70F. A friend from Ireland said that it reminded him of areas of Scotland! I mostly grew Lithops and other Mesembs in greenhouses, as Mams were very subject to that orange rot. But my first Mams were purchased when I was a lad of about 12, so there has been lots of time to kill/grow my share of plants.

Well, enough about me...if you have any questions, please ask!
Back to top Go down

Hi from Arizona Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Arizona   Hi from Arizona Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Welcome Norm, old Mammillaria friend. Hi from Arizona Icon_cool
Back to top Go down

Hi from Arizona Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Arizona   Hi from Arizona Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 8:14 am

Hello Norm,
nice to see you here! We know us not personally but I'm a member of the TCSS too. Ed told me about you and your collection and show some pics of your collection at The Garden Forums. It's wonderful to see such beautiful Mamms.

Enjoy your day
Ralf
Back to top Go down

Hi from Arizona Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Arizona   Hi from Arizona Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 11:30 am

Hello Norm, let me add my welcome here also.
Leszek
Back to top Go down
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

Hi from Arizona Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Arizona   Hi from Arizona Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:09 am

my welcome from italy...
ciao.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi from Arizona Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Arizona   Hi from Arizona Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi from Arizona
Page 1 of 1