Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria to ID, please

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria to ID, please Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria to ID, please   Mammillaria to ID, please Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 8:01 am

Hi all!

Unfortunately, I do not recall if it had a taproot or not when I transplanted.
It is about 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter and newly out of its tiny nursery pot.
The black central spine is very distinctive, but is not so clear in the photo.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Mammillaria to ID, please 1514_Cactiunknown081_1

Shmuel
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria to ID, please   Mammillaria to ID, please Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 11:44 am

Hi Shmuel, and welcome to the Forum. Your plant looks very healthy and is I am sure, Mammillaria heyderi.
This species has (according to Hunt) 5 subspecies, and of these your plant is either ssp. heyderi or ssp hemisphaerica. The only real difference is that ssp. hemisphaerica has few radial spines than ssp. heyderi (9 to 13 vs 15 to 22), and is generally a flatter plant. Now, I count about 15-16 radial spines on your plant, so I'd choose Mammillaria heyderi ssp heyderi as you plant.
Best wishes...

andrejpr
special poster
special poster
andrejpr

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria to ID, please   Mammillaria to ID, please Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 11:58 am

Hallo Shmuel!
Yes, M. heyderi form
Best wishes from Slovenia Andrej
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria to ID, please   Mammillaria to ID, please Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 12:28 pm

Wow, thank you for such a quick reply, Chris and Andrjpr. Mammillaria heyderi ssp heyderi it will be then. I saw the ssp list on your Names list. Very fascinating, but hard to say what to do with them. Is that list the one by Hunt you mentioned? I'm an old-timer and used to use Hortus III for ID! Times have changed. Mammillaria to ID, please Icon_wink

Now I see it is cold-hardy and I assume it should be kept pretty dry for the winter.

Thanks again for your quick reply.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria to ID, please   Mammillaria to ID, please Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Yes, Shmuel, it will withstand dry cold OK. I'm not sure exactly your climate, but in UK, I keep my plants dry from early October until early March, temperature minimum 7C in my greenhouse.
Classifications are always changing, I'm afraid, and they depend very much on the attitude of the botanist creating the list as to how significant differences are, and whether the common characters overcome any differences. It is a judgement thing, and has raised a lot of heated debate. Most of this is, I believe a total waste of time.

My approach is that I choose one classification around which I organise my collection. But I do recognise that a plant named as X may also be called Y in someone else's classification.

An example of this could be Mammillaria magnimamma. One classification (Hunt) has this as a single very variable species. Another (Reppenhagen) uses the name magnimamma for a specific form, and uses other names, such as bucareliensis, vallensis, .... for other forms of what Hunt would simply call M. magnimamma.

I'm no botanist, so really cant tell who is right or wrong, if anyone is, so I label my plant as Mammillaria magnimamma 'bucareliensis', ideally with some field number to denote who found it and where it came from. I think that's called covering all bases!

Classifications can be found usually in pdf form on the AfM website and on the UK Mammillaria Society website.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria to ID, please   Mammillaria to ID, please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria to ID, please
Page 1 of 1