Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can anyone assist in the name of this please

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Can anyone assist in the name of this please Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone assist in the name of this please   Can anyone assist in the name of this please Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi everyone,
Can anyone assist with this one? Probably common but as a newbie I cannot find any mamm that looks similar. It is solitory and 13cm high & 10 Cm diameter.Can anyone assist in the name of this please Unknow12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone assist in the name of this please   Can anyone assist in the name of this please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Hard to say. Has close as I can get, it could be one of the many forms of M albilanata oaxacana. The expanded description in Pilbeam ( page 34) calls for central spines 1-6, 4-7mm long, glassy white, tipped brown. Radial spines 13-27. Flowers carmine-pink, stigmas greenish. High, 12cm at most.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone assist in the name of this please   Can anyone assist in the name of this please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 3:48 pm

Tam, Thanks for the input it had me stumped.
I assume some forms of M albilanata oaxacana do not produce the wool at the top as mine never has, and it only flowers on the top not in a ring round the crown.

Thanks again

Paul
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone assist in the name of this please   Can anyone assist in the name of this please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 4:37 pm

Sorry, but the photo doesn't load now, at least for me.

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone assist in the name of this please   Can anyone assist in the name of this please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 5:08 pm

When I firsted looked I thought along the lines of polythhele or rhodanata but the spination just did not fit. M.albilanata is hugly variable but you could be right about the flowers. Another name into the hat could be M.matudae but again that would normally have a ring of flowers.
It looks abit bloated / stretched. Have you had it long ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone assist in the name of this please   Can anyone assist in the name of this please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 5:40 pm

I have sharpened the photo as it was a bit blurred. I have had it since mar 2006 and it has grown well first flowered last year. I have a M. matudae that is typical of the species though last year decided to turn into a horizontal form (serpintformis)?

Can anyone assist in the name of this please Unknow13
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone assist in the name of this please   Can anyone assist in the name of this please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks for the photo.
I don't believe that it is albilanata in any of its forms. For a start it is too stout, lacks any hair or wool, and has too few radial spines ( I count 18), let alone the flower colour and placement.
The central spines appear to be two, although the second stronger and horn coloured spine doesn't seem to appear other than on old areoles.
I'd be tempted to suggest haageana ssp elegans as illustrated on page 125 of Pilbeam. The phot there is quite similar. The appearnce of a second central spine is also quite consistent with an old plant which this is, I suspect. It's a bit oversized, and in my view, if it is haageana, could benefit from being grown a bit harder.

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone assist in the name of this please   Can anyone assist in the name of this please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 10:15 pm

Thanks to all for the comments and advice.

Not sure what you mean by growing it harder. It is kept dry in an unheated conservatory in winter and for the last two years has been outside from March onwards here in Scotland.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone assist in the name of this please   Can anyone assist in the name of this please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 10:31 pm

That's hard enough!! It looked a bit plumped up, but if not then it may not be haageana after all. But I am afraid I can't offer any other ideas at this time.

andrejpr
special poster
special poster
andrejpr

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone assist in the name of this please   Can anyone assist in the name of this please Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 9:55 am

That´s M. elegans form
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone assist in the name of this please   Can anyone assist in the name of this please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can anyone assist in the name of this please
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mammillaria Society Forum :: MAIN SECTION :: Identification-
Jump to: