Share | 

Which water is best ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WendyW

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Which water is best ?   Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:49 pm

All the time I have had plants around my house I have used tap water that has been allowed to sit for several days to let some of the chemicals evaporate out of it. This was for my tropicals along with any succulents I may of had . It seemed to do the trick but eventually always left that kind of whitish chalky look on top of the soil .
I had heard that using distilled water or rain water is much better for all plants. Is this true and which of those two is better? We have had a lot of rain water this summer and more to come so should I be collecting that ?
Thank you
Wendy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris43

Number of posts : 1618
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Which water is best ?   Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:21 pm

For cacti in general, I use rainwater, just collected in a water butt, and not filtered or treated in any way. My tapwater is quite hard, as we live in a limestone area.

I know that many Mammillarias come from places where the underlying rock/soil ha slots of limestone in it. So in theory it shouldn't matter. But using hard water also creates white deposits where the water evaporates, so can leave unsightly marks on the plants, to the extent that in some old plants there's a really white ring around the neck of the plant - which looks bad, but perhaps doesn't harm.

I use about 40 gallons a time when I water the greenhouse, which isn't a huge cost, maybe only a few pounds, but if I can use natural resources, then I will.

WendyW

PostSubject: Re: Which water is best ?   Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:01 pm

thanks Chris, I should of started collecting the rainwater here this past spring and into summer. We have had about 3 times the usual rain fall. Wonder if that hints at what kind of snow we will be getting too hmmmm
As I don't have rain water I have began using distilled water on all my plants , trops included and so far they are all seeming to like it.
Have a good week
Wendy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris43

Number of posts : 1618
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Which water is best ?   Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:40 am

I'm sure that'd be fine. I boil my tapwater to use for my seedlings as this destroys most of the hardness - but doesn't half fur up the kettle!

WendyW

PostSubject: Re: Which water is best ?   Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:58 pm

Chris, I know what you mean. I love my cup of tea in the evening and boiling that hard water in the kettle. Makes for nice lime covered sides to a kettle. I think I have gone through about 5 kettles in the last 4 years .
Take care and again thanks
Wendy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
agrippa

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Which water is best ?   Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Rainwater is OK, but don't forget some fertilizers from time to time, if this would be the only source of moisture and food for the plants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which water is best ?   

Back to top Go down

Which water is best ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1