Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria francinii DC 445

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria francinii DC 445 Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria francinii DC 445   Mammillaria francinii DC 445 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:36 am

The seeds came from Kohres, the back side of my label says:92 RP.Kohres

Mammillaria francinii DC 445 T6cosk
Back to top Go down
ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria francinii DC 445   Mammillaria francinii DC 445 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:38 am

This is a very nice plant with beautiful flowers. I did a little research and the only thing I could find is that it was found by Cowper.No state, no city mentioned. But as you probably know Sonja, Koerhes sells the weirdest things.
Reppenhagen and Pilbeam don't mention it in their books. I want to know more about this "francini", have anyone information?

Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria francinii DC 445   Mammillaria francinii DC 445 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:39 am

I bought this plant in 1991 from Ken Burke, and have been puzzled for a while. I wrote a short piece for the Mammillaria Society on it, in which I suggested that it was close to wagneriana. I had a couple of responses, of which the most authoritative was from Bob Stanley, who also had this plant, and he was roughly in agreement that it must be a variant of wagneriana. Bob had his plant from John Pilbeam, but neither of our plants has as much wool around the areoles, although the flowers are exactly as the photo shown.
Here's my plant, growing OK againnow, but it did get stunted when I had a major heating disaster 8 years ago.

Mammillaria francinii DC 445 Francini

Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria francinii DC 445   Mammillaria francinii DC 445 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:40 am

I wrote an short article on my plant for the British Mammillaria Society journal, which is included below. I asked for comments, and I received a couple of responses, and I have noted them below the main text.
Unusual or uncommon Mammillaria “names” – Part 2 – Mammillaria francinii DC445

A plant that has recently flowered for the first time in my collection is Mammillaria francinii DC445. I acquired this plant from Havering Cactus Mart quite a number of years ago, and it has slowly grown from a small seedling into its current 3½ inch pot.

It was the flower that prompted my attention, as this plant is otherwise fairly unremarkable. I have it placed close to Mammillaria wagneriana, to which it bears a fair similarity. It has 6-8 radial spines, of which the upper two are very short, the side radials longer and the lowest spines are the longest. It has mostly just one central spine, which is fairly erect. The flowers are relatively large, white with a very strong and wide midstripe, reminiscent of a flower of a Mammillaria blossfeldiana. In this flower, however, the stigma is typically 4 lobed and pink, rising nearly up to the length of the petals, the stamens being only half its length.

Its origins are to me rather shrouded in mystery. There are plants available for sale today from a couple of German nurseries, and seed is also available. The Field Collection number DC445 is one that I cannot trace. Ralph Martin’s database doesn’t list this, and the internet searches for both M. francinii and DC445 reveal very little of relevance. It isn’t listed in “A new review of Mammillaria Names” nor does it appear to feature in John Pilbeam’s “Mammillaria”

It would be good to clear up this “mystery” plant, and to know where it was collected from, by whom, and to confirm my tentative identification as synonymous, albeit a little different, with M. wagneriana.

The replies I received were from Bob Stanley, who said he also has M. francinii, and tells me that DC is Dennis Cowper, and it is supposed to come from Fresnillo, Coahuila. However he goes on to say that he can’t find a Fresnillo in Coahuila, and wonders if it is the Fresnillo in Zacatecas. This is M. wagneriana territory, but he also compares the flower of M. wagneriana to M. pettersonii, and there is a distribution area of M. pettersonii in Zacatecas. David Hunt only provisionally accepts M. wagneriana whilst comparing it to M. pettersonii.

Here's my plant again, just taken this year, the other photo is last year's, but this is just a little out of focus, but hopefully clear enough.

Mammillaria francinii DC 445 PICT7001

ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria francinii DC 445   Mammillaria francinii DC 445 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:41 am

Thanks Chris,
I wonder how many of those "old names" are buried in oblivion whilst they have their own characteristics.
Now for the article. To me it looks also close related to wagneriana, so the place Fresnillo must be in wagneriana area, Zacatecas. Dennis Cowper must have been mistaken or maby in those early years there was a place called Fresnillo in Coahuila, but has got a name change ( see stella-de-tacubaya).
But it is a very nice plant and worth to collect. However I never can use DC as iniatials when I gonna collect seed in Mexico

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria francinii DC 445   Mammillaria francinii DC 445 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria francinii DC 445
Page 1 of 1