Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229 Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229   Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 8:20 pm

At the BCSS Glasgow show today, 7-6-08

Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229 21e80m1
Back to top Go down
ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229   Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 8:25 pm

Not a tlalocii in my opinion, but a huitzilopochtli. FO 022 is mentioned as Mammillaria spec., no further names.

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229   Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 8:30 pm

You could well be right. There are some M.crucigera that will produce central spines how and again.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229   Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 8:33 pm

Wrong label. I have a similar small plant, but without any central spines like this one. It is FO-229, which has been called tlalocii. FO-22 is magnifica v minor.

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229   Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 8:36 pm

I did a check on the Raph Martain Field data base site. FO-229 was first named has a M.elegans var from the Sierra Maxteca border, Oaxaca - Pueblo. With the futher comment ; minute white spines, red flowers, M.tlalocii. I also looked on the Cactus-art site. They show both a young plant and a adult plant. The young plant has no spines but the adult is bear at the base, then white spines and then black spines at the top. I would suggest that in this case this collection would seem to produce central spines has it gets older. It could be that ssp tlalocii could be the transition from M.crucigera to M.huitzilopchtli.
Back to top Go down
ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229   Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 8:37 pm

Hello Mark,
I also looked at the cactus-art site. On the pictures he showed is the first one a tlalocii, but when you click on the picture another plant shows up and this is a huitzilopochtli. The comment at the bottom is no helpfull either because it's about M. lenta. The second picture is no tlalocii either, but crucigera grandinosa. Cactus-art give another name: caespitosa. I wouldn't count on nurseries like cactus-art being a reference of correct names. The picture you showed from the BCSS Glasgow show is, and I repeat, M. huitzilopochtli.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229   Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria crucigera ssp tlalocii FO-229
Page 1 of 1