Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

M. haageana ssp schmolii?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dax

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2020-11-23

M. haageana ssp schmolii? Empty
PostSubject: M. haageana ssp schmolii?   M. haageana ssp schmolii? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2022 6:31 pm

Hi, this plant finally is flowering after many years. Looking some pictures in Internet, I think it could be this one. Am I right? M. haageana ssp schmolii? 13_1n120
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: M. haageana ssp schmolii?   M. haageana ssp schmolii? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 11:30 am

I hink that it certainly looks like M. haageana, but ssp. schmollii is a form that offsets, which your plant does not appear to be doing. Its a very variable species, with a number of subspecies names given to it, but many have been discarded. I have seen these plants in habitat and formed the view that this species is quite variable even within a specific population.

Dax

PostSubject: Re: M. haageana ssp schmolii?   M. haageana ssp schmolii? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 4:44 pm

Thank you very much, Chris43. What do you mean by "that offsets".
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: M. haageana ssp schmolii?   M. haageana ssp schmolii? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 8:34 pm

Offsets are what I call new heads, usually from the base of a [lant, so that it forms clumps of "heads". Some people call them "pups".

Dax

PostSubject: Re: M. haageana ssp schmolii?   M. haageana ssp schmolii? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2022 4:52 pm

Thank you very much for the explanation. One feature that make me doubt about the species is that these plantas are more elongated that other M. haageana that I have from different locations, which are more spherical. Another one is that this plant is flowering after many years, while the other varieties of M. haageana blossom every year and since they have few years.
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: M. haageana ssp schmolii?   M. haageana ssp schmolii? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2022 1:36 am

I wonder if it might be a variety of m. haageana subsp. elegans.
Back to top Go down
Dax

PostSubject: Re: M. haageana ssp schmolii?   M. haageana ssp schmolii? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2022 8:45 pm

Thank you very much, Delandmo. This is another clone from the original plant. It is more elongated.M. haageana ssp schmolii? Mammil10
Back to top Go down
Dax

PostSubject: Another photos   M. haageana ssp schmolii? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Hi, I just found these photos of the original plant.
M. haageana ssp schmolii? Mamm_n10
M. haageana ssp schmolii? Mamm_n11
Back to top Go down
Dax

PostSubject: Re: M. haageana ssp schmolii?   M. haageana ssp schmolii? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2023 3:22 pm

Hi, Chris43. I recently found this plant. According to your information, I think this could be the M. haageana schmollii. Am I correct?M. haageana ssp schmolii? Mammil11
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: M. haageana ssp schmolii?   M. haageana ssp schmolii? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2023 5:53 pm

Yes that would appear to be an offsetting form of M. haageana. I think that ssp. schmollii would be approrpriate.

Dax

PostSubject: Re: M. haageana ssp schmolii?   M. haageana ssp schmolii? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2023 6:08 pm

Thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: M. haageana ssp schmolii?   M. haageana ssp schmolii? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

M. haageana ssp schmolii?
Page 1 of 1