Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrancesT

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-06-24

Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria Empty
PostSubject: Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria   Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2022 3:37 pm

I inherited the Mammilaria below from my Granddad 31 years ago. I was thrilled when it flowered for the first time this June, and I am now wondering what species I inherited.  It might have flowered because this year I have given it a summer holiday in the greenhouse (it normally resides indoors).

Please can anybody identify it? I am only a novice cactus owner so am unsure how to do so.

Many thanks.

Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria Mammil13
Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria Mammil12
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria   Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2022 8:45 pm

This could be an echinopsis (or related to that), but it certainly isn't a mammillaria.
However, the white spined plant in the back is a mammillaria. Possibly M. geminispina, but it needs a lot more light. And I think that the echinopsis also would welcome more light.

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down
FrancesT

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria   Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2022 3:28 pm

Thank you Wolter. As you can see I am a novice.

Anybody any ideas which Echinopsis?

Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
Rohan41

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2017-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria   Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2022 1:54 pm

Its possibly Echinopsis huasha or a hybrid involving that species. The narrower growth indicates a period of too little light which probably also led to the dark markings on the stem, but that galsshouse looks nice and bright and the new growth is much healthier, now rewarding you with a flower Very Happy Both this one and the Mammillaria will appreciate the brightest spot available.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria   Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Identification of Granddad's Mammilaria
Page 1 of 1