Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Polination in small cactus collection

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mike44

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-01-19

Polination in small cactus collection Empty
PostSubject: Polination in small cactus collection   Polination in small cactus collection Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2022 2:34 pm

in July I acquired a mammillaria, currently identified as polythele quadrispina, at a local garden centre. I did
not expect any flowers this year but at the end of August it started producing flower buds and continued until
early December, total of 14 flowers but in sequence. I was unable to establish if this variant is self sterile
but I attempted self pollination. The flower remains remain firmly fixed to the cactus, can anyone say if I may
get any viable seed and how long before results show, are any of the mammillaira self pollinating?
I have a Acanthocalcium glaucum which produced a flower, net search suggested self sterile but I
self pollinated it anyway and this resulted in some seeds and now 18 5mm seedlings.
Back to top Go down

Polination in small cactus collection
Page 1 of 1