Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jfdocampo

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2016-09-23

Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana Empty
PostSubject: Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana   Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 2:34 pm

I took the picture in a cacti exhibition in Madrid. No idea about the species of this Mammillaria.

Regards,

Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana Dsc_9210
Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana Dsc_9212
Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana Dsc_9211

Last edited by Jfdocampo on Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana   Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 8:31 pm

Hi,
I would suggest m. formosa.
Back to top Go down
Jfdocampo

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana   Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 7:33 am

After watching dozens of pictures, I think you're right. A very variable species indeed. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana   Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 1:42 pm

I would not exclude the possibility that it is M. hahniana (or possibly the related M. albata). In general, M. formosa (or chionocephala) has somewhat more brownish spines than the plant of the photo. And I have not yet seen a dichotomously dividing formosa, although I will not exclude that it might be possible.
Also, the presence of hairs seems to point towards M. hahniana.
If you look at M. hahniana on Maurillio's pages of the website, then you will see M. hahniana WTH845, which looks very much like your plant. I even found a dichotomous WTH 845, also shown on that page.
What is the flower colour? If it is reddish, then that would be a atrong indication for hahniana.

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down
Jfdocampo

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana   Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 7:18 pm

I'm afraid isn't a plant of mine. I saw in a cacti exhibition. So it's very improbable I see it again. In any case, based on your reasoning, I think the option of M. hahniana is more correct than that of M. formosa. I'll tag it that way. Thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana   Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unknown Mammillaria 2 -> Mammillaria hahniana
Page 1 of 1