Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra) Empty
PostSubject: Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra)   Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 5:00 am

What is the correct name for this plant?
They call it carmenae but I'm not convinced. It's spines are much more  stiff than carmenae. If it's a hybrid, what species are involved?

Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra) P1130996

Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra) P1130998
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra)   Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 10:21 am

Hi Mike,
The usual hybrids with carmenae are lauii, but those don't contribute red spines. I don't know what is used, but I wonder it could be elongata, another species with variable spine colour. It could just be that a nursery somewhere producing lots of plants for the retail market has come across the odd red spined plant and selectively propagated it into a cultivar strain.

PostSubject: Re: Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra)   Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 4:12 am

Thanks Chris. Yes lauii and I would suspect subducta is a a prime contender.
Back to top Go down
Rohan41

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2017-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra)   Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2020 3:59 pm

I have held off ordering carminae red spined versions, I'm not sure if they exist in the wild and havent seen any with collection numbers attached. Could be a selection but the coarseness of the spines makes me wonder if it (and they) are hybrid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra)   Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Red spined Mamm carmenae. (rubra)
Page 1 of 1