Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Unlabeled plant

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Unlabeled plant Empty
PostSubject: Unlabeled plant   Unlabeled plant Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 11:47 am

Hi,
Here is an unlabelled plant, some folks in my club said M obscura, like pettersonii but more curved spines. They saw it 3 years ago when I got it, not recently, and w/o a fower. Is there a difference? Which is this? Here is 3 years ago
Unlabeled plant Obscura
Here is now
Unlabeled plant IMG_3487-1
THanks much, Mike
Back to top Go down

Unlabeled plant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unlabeled plant   Unlabeled plant Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 11:48 am

Dear Mike,
You will find that what a plant is named is dependant on which classification you follow. For myself I tend towards been a lumper although I should say I do not agreed with every thing David Hunt and John Pilbeam suggest.
Has for your plant., In Pilbeam's mammillaria book M.obscura is describled has being '' an untypified taxon, with no locality cited and probably referable to M.petterssonii. Craig allied it to M.wagneriana.''
Your 2nd picture certainly looks like my plants of M.pettersonii ML309, MK 176-49, LAU 1045 in both flower and spination and I would have no problem attaching that name to that plant.
Yours, Mark
Back to top Go down
ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Unlabeled plant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unlabeled plant   Unlabeled plant Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 11:49 am

Hello Mike,
I also think that it's pettersonii. I've an obscura in my collection, a young one (see picture). Hunt and Pilbeam have lots of names that they reject as untypified and not refound. In the mean while there were many fieldcollectors that have refound a lot of earlier described species. So, you could accept those refound plants or ignore them.
As you can see on the picture the spination is darker and shorter than on M. pettersonii
M. obscura SB 06
Unlabeled plant 2lbnw40
here's another pettersonii lookalike: M. huigerensis P 1756
Unlabeled plant 2crkns2

Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Unlabeled plant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unlabeled plant   Unlabeled plant Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 11:51 am

I am sure that Mark and Hugo are right with their identification. I don't have an obscura myself, but in addition to plants that were named as pettersonii when I got them, I have plants which are pettersonii which were named as apozolensis, apozolensis v. saltensis, huigerensis, pilensis and hamilton-hoytia.
Are you still in touch with Woody Minnich? If so I'll pm you on a specific plant question as I have failed to find a valiud email for him to ask him directly.

Sponsored content

Unlabeled plant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unlabeled plant   Unlabeled plant Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unlabeled plant
Page 1 of 1