Share | 

Non Germinating Mammillaria species

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rohan41

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2017-10-27

PostSubject: Non Germinating Mammillaria species   Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi, I am wondering ? In the past two years I have returned to growing cacti from seed after 30 years out of the hobby. I cannot complain, I have planted a lot of seed and as expected mixed results but generally good. However the genus I seem to have the most difficulty germinating is Mammillaria. Maybe its dodgy seed, maybe the particular species need treating in some way. So the ones in particular that I have had trouble with are M. Lauii , two separate forms from different sources - zero germination. M. Grahamii 100 seed batch from Cactus Store - zero. Mammillaria pennispinosa, mammillaria nana, mammillaria hutchisoniana, Mammillaria Toluca - a few popped up but very low rate, Mammillaria Blossfeldiana - 5 germinated from 30 but this was fresh seed from a supplier where everything else was very high germination. There are probably a few others too, any feedback on this seed need to be fresher, older, cold treated etc ? Certainly the group around hutchisoniana / blossfeldiana etc seem to be very reluctant. Seed has come fro Cactus store, Mesa, Koehres and some private Australian growers. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Non Germinating Mammillaria species
Page 1 of 1