Potting compost for M. luethyi on own roots

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Potting compost for M. luethyi on own roots Empty
PostSubject: Potting compost for M. luethyi on own roots   Potting compost for M. luethyi on own roots Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2018 8:55 pm

I've just acquired three rooted cuttings of M. luethyi and am wondering what the right compost is for them. I've grown M. luethyi on a graft before, but have found it difficult to keep the scion from drying up, as the graft has often broken as a result of the expansion and contraction of the body at the join.
So now I'm trying them on their own roots, and wold like to know what compost mix has given you the best success.
I have sterilised garden soil; sharp sand; 2-5mm horticultural grit; peat; leaf compost; and volcanic grit (bims).
I know they come from a rather gritty but compacted habitat, and that they can be very wet at times and very dry at others.So I am tending to growing them in a purely mineral soil, probably pure volcanic grit, but maybe with some sharp sand as well.
Advice would be very welcome.

K.W.

K.W.

Number of posts : 2586
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Potting compost for M. luethyi on own roots   Potting compost for M. luethyi on own roots Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2018 9:32 pm

Good evening Chris,

Chris43 wrote:
>>>

So I am tending to growing them in a purely mineral soil, probably pure volcanic grit, but maybe with some sharp sand as well.

<<<

that seems to me to be the right substrate.
However, I would omit the sand - compacts the substrate and fills the desired gaps between the pumice.

Best wishes

K.W.

Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Potting compost for M. luethyi on own roots   Potting compost for M. luethyi on own roots Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks KW, I did wonder about the sand so I guess it'll just be bims then!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potting compost for M. luethyi on own roots   Potting compost for M. luethyi on own roots Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Potting compost for M. luethyi on own roots
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mammillaria Forum :: MAIN SECTION :: Culture-
Jump to: