Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ID for this possible M. bocensis ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Empty
PostSubject: ID for this possible M. bocensis ?   ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 10:33 pm

ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Bocens10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ID for this possible M. bocensis ?   ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 10:33 pm

From Sinaloa
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: ID for this possible M. bocensis ?   ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 10:16 pm

Right State for m. bocencis and a nice spiny example.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: ID for this possible M. bocensis ?   ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 7:59 pm

The spines are curlier than I have seen, but the flower looks right, so yes, M. bocensis also is my view.

delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: ID for this possible M. bocensis ?   ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

Incidentally, John Pilbeam in his new book describes it as porcupine like.
Back to top Go down
mammillariamaniac

mammillariamaniac

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2016-08-19

PostSubject: Re: ID for this possible M. bocensis ?   ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 6:15 pm

Hola DientebLanco,

I agree with bocensis, Reppenhagen described the central spines as upwards curved. I think the spination looks like this because of the barren and fullsun location and a long drought. The rainy season starts in Sinaloa just now.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ID for this possible M. bocensis ?   ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 11:52 pm

ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Bocens14

i doubt because of how diferent this form is compared with the northern and southern population.

ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Bocens13

also found many clumps of this, also bocensis, but some sort of caespitosus form?

Thanks a lot !
Back to top Go down
mammillariamaniac

mammillariamaniac

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2016-08-19

PostSubject: Re: ID for this possible M. bocensis ?   ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 7:13 am

Where exactly in Sinaloa did you photograph these plants? This could help for identification.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: ID for this possible M. bocensis ?   ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 5:20 pm

These are my habitat photos of what I believe to be Mammillaria bocensis.

Firstly from the ML741 location near Guasimas, 30m above sea level, Sonora.

ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Pict1110

ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Pict1111

and also just south of the Rio Piaxtla  in Sinaloa.

ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Pict1113

ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Pict1112

These photos are the reason that I was surprised at how curved the spines were on the OP's photos. I did spend some time looking at whether the plants from Guasimas might be M. sonorensis, as there is a fairly common white/cream coloured flowered form of this, but I have checked with several people, including John Pilbeanm and Wolfganga Plein, and they are in agreement about M. bocensis being the plants I saw there. The spines on the plants from the Rio Piaztla are longer than those at near Guasimas, but not curved that I can see from the photos.

So, it is clearly just part of natural variation, though my plants of Rog 231 (Rio Piaxtla), H.O. 170(not known where from) and Lau 772 - as rubida - (Cerro Culagua 100-500m, Sinaloa) do not show this character.It would be nice to have some with such spines - seed anyone??

PostSubject: Re: ID for this possible M. bocensis ?   ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 10:20 pm

Chris43, Thank you for the photos and information !
At first sight i thought it was a sort jhonstonii because of the curve spine, but the description fits to bocensis.

I collected a few fruits

mammillariamaniac, i found them at Topolobampo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ID for this possible M. bocensis ?   ID for this possible M. bocensis ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ID for this possible M. bocensis ?
Page 1 of 1