Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399 Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399   Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 5:50 pm

ELK 2014 -Directly from the Collector this AvZ 399
labelled Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399 - Ojo Caliente - San Luis Potosì - Mexico

Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399 7404-210

Could there be something wrong?
The flower is not greenish/yellow...

Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399   Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi maurillio,

Looks like the right plant, but as you say the flower colour appears to be wrong. Did the collector choose this one maybe because it was white flowered? Or has he not been very careful with his subsequent cultivation and allowed some cross pollination? Time will tell, the fruit should be dull pink, with brown seed.
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399   Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2017 3:30 pm

This AvZ plant could be M. saint-pieana. If his Ojo Caliente is the village near Santa Maria del Rio, then that would fit, because M. saint-pieana grows in the Santa Maria del Rio region. Your plant does not look like the typical gigantea. But in nature, there are no strict boundaries, and then it is often difficult to identify a plant which does not completely fit the picture of the original description.
Your plant could also be a form of M. magnimamma. Not so far from Santa Maria del Rio, somewhat east of San Luis Potosí, I found plants which I found difficult to identify. I named them M. magnimamma WTH 1093, but M. saint-pieana could also be an option.
In Reppenhagen's 2-volume book, he shows a photo of M. gigantea with pale-white flowers.

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down
delandmo

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399   Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Isn't saint- pieana supposed to have pink flowers though?
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399   Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Both Backeberg and Reppenhagen write with regard to the flower: weisslich, i.e. whitish.

Wolter.
Back to top Go down
delandmo

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399   Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2017 5:14 pm

Looking at the photo and description of saint-pieana from Chris and the same photo of maurillio's plant in that blog of 2010,still showing on this site, to me there seems to be a discrepancy with the shape and number of spines between the two to consider maurillio's plant saint-pieana.
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399   Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2017 5:50 pm

The description which Chris has given is not the one of Backeberg, but the modified description of Reppenhagen. Backeberg states that the location of M. saint-pieana is not known and that it was probably collected by Schwarz: "Mexiko (ohne genaueren Standort, wahrscheinlich von Schwarz gesammelt)".
Reppenhagen then assigned M. saint-pieana status to the plants which he found near Santa Maria del Rio. Ojo Caliente, the site for the AvZ plant, is only 5 km north of Santa Maria del Rio.

On the forum at https://mammillaria.forumotion.net/t1320-mammillaria-saint-pieana?highlight=saint you can find photos of plants which I found at just one location of about 300 by 200 meters in that region, 5 km east of Santa Maria del Rio. There is quite some variability in these plants, but they grow considerably bigger than Reppenhagen states in his book.
Individual heads of M. magnimamma stay small, and they form offsets. In contrast, individual heads of M. gigantea grow very big, and they hardly form offsets. Therefore, I can understand Hunt's opinion that M. saint-pieana is a form of M. gigantea (which actually does not grow so far away, 50 km south of Santa Mario del Rio you reach M. gigantea territory). Yet, to me it is different enough to warrant a special status.

Let's wait and see what this AvZ plant looks like when it grows bigger.

Wolter.
Back to top Go down
delandmo

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399   Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2017 6:22 pm

We will wait and see
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399   Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria gigantea AvZ 399
Page 1 of 1