Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Here in Spain

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Here in Spain Empty
PostSubject: Here in Spain   Here in Spain Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 3:06 pm

Greetings from the Costa Blanca on this bright sunny Boxing Day. The temp is 25C but it was 9C at 7 am. I thought I would list the plants now in flower on an outside bench on our small front patio. They are: carmenae, geminispina, Lau 1116 (from seed given me by Alfred when he stayed with us many years ago), hahniana, plumosa, bombycina, miehana, subducta, eriacantha, nejapensis . Other sp. in flower are: Fero latispinus, Rebutia muscula, Steno. latispinus.
All have been bought from garden centres or market stalls (except Lau 1116 which I brought with me from Cornwall), and come unlabelled so it's a brainstorming activity trying to name them. Then one realises how similar many mamm spp are and one wonders if there should be so many species. Despite a cover the plants mostly had a good watering from 3 days of torrential non-stop rain; the worst locally for about 30 years with 6 drownings and many homes severely flooded. One needs a cover in this sort of rain othrwise the soil would be washed out of the pots.
Most plants are imported from the Low Countries, but there is a least one enterprise of Spanish origin. I recently bought two Spanish-raised Uebelmannia pectinata of two varying forms in 2.5 inch pots from a stall in our local market for €2.50 each. I will try and post some photos after the Christmas period is over. It's hectic sitting in the sun with a glass of wine!
Happy New Year to all you cactophiles.
Back to top Go down

Here in Spain Empty
PostSubject: Plants in flower in December   Here in Spain Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2016 4:26 pm

Here in Spain Img_0013

Finally succeeded in posting a photo.Yayyy! Plants are on an outside bench with a box section sheet overhead to keep off really heavy rain, like last week when we had 75 l/sq m over 3 days of nonstop solid downpour.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Here in Spain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here in Spain   Here in Spain Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 7:06 pm

I am so envious of your climate, and the way it brings plants into flower so well. I've just recently moved house, no greenhouse yet, so my plants are hibernating in the garage at 5C while it is -5C overnight. My delicate ones - guerreronis, mammillaris and the like are indoors keeping warm with me.

jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Here in Spain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here in Spain   Here in Spain Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 9:09 am

I'll try to snap some pics this weekend, but my Lasiacanthae are budding up nicely already. Very Happy

Welcome, Streseder. That flowering Rebutia is quite unexpected! And what's the Ferocactus behind it, a late F. latispinus?
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/

Here in Spain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here in Spain   Here in Spain Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 11:25 am

Thanks all for good wishes. Yes, Chris I have two Uebelmannia pectinifera in 8.5 cm pots bought off a market stall here for the princely sum of 2 1/2 euros each. Each morning when the sun comes up they go out on the bench & come indoors with us at sunset! At 7 am today it was 9C, but I have known it to be below freeezing in local river valleys at that time in the winter, when going out to photograph birds.
Yes, Z, it is Fero.latispinus in a 22 cm bowl. It has just finished having two lovely purple flowers My 2 Mam schiedieana are just coming into flower, also M.magellanii as it is a lovely sunny day here, still only 16C though. Honey bees are visitig the Mamm flowers and there are still bats around the street lamps despite it being chill when the sun sets. I note the furry tips of buds on Noto. uebelmannianus too.
I hope to post more pics , but my pc has just refused to get as far as the BIOS so they may be delayed. (Posting this from my Tab A tablet). A grim reminder -- make sure, as I did, that your precious photos are backed up on USB stick or external hard drive. Preferably both. My HD may have gone or it may be just the CMOS button battery, but at least most of my irreplaceable stuff is saved elsewhere.

Feliz Nuevo Ano (Happy New Year) to all from the Costa Blanca South
Stephen
Back to top Go down

Here in Spain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here in Spain   Here in Spain Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Herewith another photo of the major part of my small outside collection taken earlier in 2016.
[Here in Spain My_cac11[/url]
Back to top Go down

Here in Spain Empty
PostSubject: Here in Spain   Here in Spain Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 1:42 pm

The plants had a shock to the system last Wednesday morning - a heavy snowfall. For nany of the locals it was the first time they had seen snow. Some reports say the last time was 1926. By midday it had become torrential rain lasting until Friday. Temps around 4C. I had to clear the snow off the car before driving. Today, Monday 23rd Jan. we have bright sunshine & 20C. The plants seem to be surviving, many continue to flower. I shall be interested to observe the effect - if any - on the future flowering pattern of the plants which have not yet budded.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Here in Spain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here in Spain   Here in Spain Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Here in Spain
Page 1 of 1