Share | 

Hello from Evesham UK

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
David48

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2016-08-19

PostSubject: Hello from Evesham UK   Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:56 pm

I started collected early 1960s filling two windowsills of my parents home, and joining the Cheltenham Cactus and Succulent Society, which later ceased to be. I show one pic from this time at a meeting show:

I left my collection behind after going to university, and over time I lost the small collection.
Now retired, I started growing again, first acquiring about 30 plants in Brazil, RN, near the equator, which I grew outside in the garden:

Returning to Evesham England, I have built up just over 100 cacti, about 40 Mammillarias, using four windowsills (two south facing, two east facing) of my UK flat. My plants are mostly 3" pot size and are placed in seed trays, which I can transport back and forth to the south facing lawn on sunny days. I started my UK collection with about a dozen garden centre plants, but then discovered Ebay sellers, and sales at the BCSS local branch meetings. Last photos of two of my window sills and outside photo:

Here is a tray of Mammillaria family:

I am very interested in how to provide the maximum light for my Mammillarias, to try and overcome any disadvantages from growing inside the home. I would like to hear how other growers approach growing from inside a home, and anyone who grows in Brazil, as I spend some time there also
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David48

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Evesham UK   Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:16 pm

In Brazil, I started with Mammillaria polythele ssp inermis (nuda) which I found interesting for two reasons: it flowered non stop from the growing point, throughout the year, whereas I think most Mammillarias flower following year from the new growth; it flowered in a climate which was around 30C every day of the year, ie no dormant cool resting period.

Another Mammillaria in Brazil in flower (Mammilaria polythele obconella?):

Here is Mammillaria plumosa in flower:

The location is in the dry NE of Brazil, the state of Rio Grande do Norte, daily temperature around 30C, night temperature only a little cooler, outside dry season mostly 9 months of the year, with rain January, February March (But cacti watered when dry, no rest period). Sun strong, nearly vertically overhead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mmartic

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2013-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Evesham UK   Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:20 am

Quote :
Another Mammillaria in Brazil in flower (Mammilaria polythele obconella?):
This one is a Mamm. backebergiana!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mmcavall

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2016-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Evesham UK   Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:37 pm

Hi David, I'm brazilian, but I live in Sao Paulo state. It is hard to discuss cacti growing in Brazil in those forums because climate conditions are very different, and there are not many brazilians around, so it will be a pleasure for me to exchange experiences with you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David48

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Evesham UK   Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Very pleased to meet you! Although in Areia Branca, RN, there was a person who sold cacti amongst other plants on the street, I have found very few cactus growers in Brazil, or websites to purchase plants. AB is 4 degrees south of the equator, so very different from Sao Paulo.
I would very much like to discuss cacti growing in Brazil with you.
xau
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mmcavall

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2016-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Evesham UK   Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:52 am

Hi David,
I think that RN and SP are more similar one to another than to UK, so it will be good to share experience. I'll send you a PM with my email.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David48

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Evesham UK   Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:31 am

I will be back in Brazil in December. I was wondering if there are really only just a few Pilocereus native to the state. (Geographical distribution of cacti reference in cactiguide website). I am itching to spend a day or two looking for cacti unless I hear of ecological reasons why the smaller globular cacti cannot grow there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Evesham UK   

Back to top Go down

Hello from Evesham UK
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1