Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mammillarias.net

Go down 
+2
Chris43
mammillariamaniac
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mammillariamaniac

mammillariamaniac

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2016-08-19

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Hello,

Does anybody know what happend to this website? mammillarias.net
Since some weeks there are errors.. In the past I found it very helpful and interesting. Is the owner Ralph Martin?
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2016 2:35 pm

No, I don't. I will try to find out, because, as you say, there was a lot of useful information there.

mammillariamaniac

mammillariamaniac

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 9:54 pm

Thank you Chris !
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 6:55 pm

I have now been in touch by email with Franck Martin, the owner of mammillarias.net. The reason for the site's unavailability is that the service provider has made changes to their systems, and mammillarias.net will not run without change. The owner has been very busy and has not had the time to work on this, but plans to do so during some vacation time over the next month or two.
So there is hope, and I will keep in touch to see how things develop.
I'll post an update as and when.

mammillariamaniac

mammillariamaniac

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 7:08 pm

Thank you for the effort! That are great news, I almost thought the site is gone...
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2016 10:57 am

Its back!!

http://www.mammillarias.net/

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2016 4:16 pm

yep i'am back Wink
http://www.mammillarias.net with new design  Wink new picture gallery etc ...
i will need to find people to help to update/correct "species description" page  ...but still have to do an admin page to discuss with database easily , i will tell you about that when done ...

mammillarias.net Mammil10
Back to top Go down

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2016 4:22 pm

Also i put a direct link in the menu to this forum ( and for Chris also a link to mammillaria society Wink
i hope you like !

mammillarias.net Mammil10
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2016 4:31 pm

Yes, I saw, thank you very much Franck, its a great resource.

mammillariamaniac

mammillariamaniac

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2016 10:37 pm

Thanks a lot Franck, I like it ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mmartic

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2013-05-21

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 6:25 am

Nice... It's one of my favorite tools Wink
Back to top Go down
jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-05-25

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 10:47 am

Glad to know it's back, it's a site I visit very often to check for descriptions and names. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2023 4:13 pm

I was trying to look up some of the Michel Lacoste habitat photos of mammillarias. But that old site with that very useful gallery is gone!
A new site mammillarias.net does exist, however, but this is an inferior site of a few pages in Spanish. The Mammillaria Society still has a link to mammillarias.net, but when you click on that link you get that rather useless new site. So, it would be better to remove that link.

Wolter.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2023 4:54 pm

Hi Wolter,
I don't think we'll see the new site developed. I've emailed the author a few time byt not had a reply.
However......back in 2008 I saved a number of the Lacoste images from the old site, and still have them on disk. The file names are from ML02 up to ML735, some gaps inevitably, but 496 images in all.
Are there any specific one you'd like which I could send to you. They aren't high quality jeps but might help. If there are then please email me.

mammillariamaniac

mammillariamaniac

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2023 10:09 am

Hello,
I also saved a lot of ML pictures some have been also sent to me by Wolfgang Plein, which have not been uploaded to the mammillarias.net website. Anyways I also have not every picture. Maybe we can swap pictures? I will upload a list which ones i have saved.

Did anyone save the data from the Fieldnumber Database of Franck Martin?
Thats what I am missing the most..

Last edited by mammillariamaniac on Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2023 10:30 am

Hi Chris,

I was looking for habitat images of M. tezontle (ML 690).
The habitat photos which I possess are images of Geoff Bailey/John Miller from 2002 and of my own 2021 trip. These all showed plants which confirmed to the description: short, yellowish white radial and central spines. Yet, on the forum you see several tezontle photos which do not have these yellowish white spines, although the correct field numbers (WAF 1983 and ML 690) are attached. There is a good chance that these darker spined and different looking tezontles are hybrids.
I used to have two tezontles in my collection, which probably originated from habitat collected seed. They came from a cactus friend (he had several international contacts) who visited the region before the plants had been described. From these two plants I obtained seeds and I grew the next generation in 2014, see attached photo. From that next generation I obtained seeds and those seeds appeared in the list of the German mammillaria society. Someone grew plants from those seeds and of those plants there were some who had red-brown centrals, but otherwise they looked like normal tezontles.
Looking again at my photo, I see one plant which has a slightly darker central spine (see second photo). Therefore, I am afraid that there has been some hybridization in my so-called next generation. Or could it be that in habitat tezontle prefers to form yellowish white spines because it grows on a rock with whitish lichen, whereas it still has genes in it for red-brown centrals?

Wolter.    
mammillarias.net Img_5019

mammillarias.net Img_5018
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2023 12:12 pm

So here is the image of ML690 saved from the old mammillarias.net website.

mammillarias.net Ml_69010

Very yellow spined indeed! It looks as if the photo was taken late in the day but still no real sign of brown in the spines.

Chris43
Chris43

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2023 12:17 pm

mammillariamaniac wrote:
I also saved a lot of ML pictures some have been also sent to me by Wolfgang Plein, which have not uploaded to the mammillarias.net website. Anyways I also have not every picture. Maybe we can swap pictures? I will upload a list which ones i have saved.

Did anyone save the data from the Fieldnumber Database of Franck Martin?
Thats what I am missing the most..

Certainly, let me know which you want, maybe send me your email. And no, I don't have a copy of the fieldnumber database. Which collectors did it contain? I have a number of collectors lists which Wolfgang sent me some time ago, but tere is also the BCSS Field Number database which contains many Mammillarias. Is that of help to you?

mammillariamaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/index.html
mammillariamaniac

mammillariamaniac

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2023 10:05 pm

Hey Wolter,

I rather believe in the theory of hybridization with your shown plants. The darker spined 'tezontle's are only known to me from the La Hoya Chica site. The article in KUAS 9/2022 by Thomas can very easily give this impression from the photos that the lichen would have influence on the spine color.

Kind regards Jonathan

here my pictures of the habitat of ML 690.

mammillarias.net Dfb89810
mammillarias.net 4c5ac410

Back to top Go down
mammillariamaniac

mammillariamaniac

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2023 10:21 pm

Chris43 wrote:

Certainly, let me know which you want, maybe send me your email. And no, I don't have a copy of the fieldnumber database. Which collectors did it contain? I have a number of collectors lists which Wolfgang sent me some time ago, but tere is also the BCSS Field Number database which contains many Mammillarias. Is that of help to you?

Thank you Chris I will write you an email rergarding my questions.
The field database contained a lot older field collections from the 1920s to the 60s that are not in other field database like the one from Ralph Martin or Christophe Ludwig.

Kind regards Jonathan
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2023 11:30 am

Here is the photo of the seedlings which were grown from the seeds which I had given to the German Mammillaria Society. Some of them are nicely yellowish white (as should be), others are much darker spined than the 'darkest' one of the previous generation. Hybridization or natural variation?

Wolter.  

mammillarias.net Tezont10
Back to top Go down
fatich

fatich

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2021-12-28

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2023 8:16 am

I have these plants, grown from seeds around 2years old.
Seed source is Adblps.
It is listed as Mammillaria tezontle GK 9073'00 Ft4 ref-956mammillarias.net Oi000810
mammillarias.net Oi000811
mammillarias.net Oi000812
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2023 11:21 am

Hi Fatich,

Your plants certainly look like tezontle, yellowish white spination and very short central and radial spines. The corresponding photo in Aymeric de Barmon's seed list also looks OK for tezontle.
He also has tezontle WAF 1983 in his list, the photo also shows the correct tezontle.
But Aymeric also lists tezontle from La Purisima. Based on the photo in the list, this is not tezontle (different spine colour and length). La Purisima is only 3 km from the type location and Rogozinski has visited La Purisima in 1984. Many years later, he wrote in his 2003 report that he thought that the Purisima plants were tezontle. To show how complicated and confusing the situation is, less than 2 km from La Purisima and 5 km from the tezontle type location, you find plants at La Tinaja which I have listed as aff. crinita, Reppenhagen calls them knebeliana and Linzen calls them monancistracantha! In this almost flat region there are a few low hills and I think that on each hill (when they are so isolated that each of them is out of the flying range of pollinators) you can find a somewhat different mammillaria.

Wolter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

mammillarias.net Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillarias.net   mammillarias.net Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mammillarias.net
Page 1 of 1