Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Id needed for two mamillarias

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Id needed for two mamillarias Empty
PostSubject: Id needed for two mamillarias   Id needed for two mamillarias Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Need help from the community to ID the following Mammillarias. Hope some expert can shed some light on the species.

Mammillaria No 1

Id needed for two mamillarias Img_2010
Id needed for two mamillarias Img_2011
Id needed for two mamillarias Img_2012

Mammillaria No 2

Id needed for two mamillarias Whatsa10
Id needed for two mamillarias Whatsa11
Id needed for two mamillarias 4249b910
Id needed for two mamillarias Whatsa13
Id needed for two mamillarias Whatsa12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Id needed for two mamillarias   Id needed for two mamillarias Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 2:29 am

Can anyone help me out in this one? I am not even sure if its a mammillaria.
Back to top Go down
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Id needed for two mamillarias   Id needed for two mamillarias Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 9:54 am

Mammillaria n.2 could be Mammillaria prolifera
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Id needed for two mamillarias   Id needed for two mamillarias Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 1:20 pm

Both of these plants need a lot more light. I'd agree with Maurillio that #2 could be prolifera, but the heads should be round, not elongated like they are. As for #1, I'm really not sure, but wonder about ernestii?

PostSubject: Re: Id needed for two mamillarias   Id needed for two mamillarias Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 7:13 pm

maurillio and Chris43 thank you very much for your inputs.

Can you please explain how you identified that these needed more light? I am a newbie and any info you can give will be of importance to me.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Id needed for two mamillarias   Id needed for two mamillarias Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 10:29 pm

Plants that don't have enough light tend to grow rather elongated. Mammillaria prolifera has heads that are mostly round, and they are not on this plant. On the first plant, the body seems to be a bit too open, which could be too much water or too little light, or indeed both.
But they will recover if you can change their environment a bit. Where do you keep them at the moment?

PostSubject: Re: Id needed for two mamillarias   Id needed for two mamillarias Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 3:19 pm

I keep them under a shade net.. They receive light but not direct sunlight. I guess I will have to move them to full sunlight.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Id needed for two mamillarias   Id needed for two mamillarias Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 3:49 pm

If you can, try to acclimatise them gradually to the stronger light, maybe an hour or two to start with then three or four. Otherwise, they might get sunburnt.

PostSubject: Re: Id needed for two mamillarias   Id needed for two mamillarias Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 7:18 pm

Great idea Chris43.. But even if I acclimatize them, will strong sunlight all through day kill them? What about rain? Will keeping them in an open area prone to sun and rain kill them?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Id needed for two mamillarias   Id needed for two mamillarias Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Id needed for two mamillarias
Page 1 of 1