Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

M. caerulea or chionocephala or formosa ssp chionocephala

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

M. caerulea or chionocephala or formosa ssp chionocephala Empty
PostSubject: M. caerulea or chionocephala or formosa ssp chionocephala   M. caerulea or chionocephala or formosa ssp chionocephala Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 4:48 pm

Anyway....here's my plant out in full flower yesterday. No seed data, from a now closed UK nursery.

M. caerulea or chionocephala or formosa ssp chionocephala PICT7002

PostSubject: Re: M. caerulea or chionocephala or formosa ssp chionocephala   M. caerulea or chionocephala or formosa ssp chionocephala Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 4:58 pm

For me this would M.formosa ssp formosa. Even at an early stage M.formosa ssp chionocephala will produce wool in the center. I have a plant of ssp chionocephala NPT 285 which came from our friend Bill Greenaway, so you might have it yourself. It has not flowered has yet, but I will post a picture later for comparison
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: M. caerulea or chionocephala or formosa ssp chionocephala   M. caerulea or chionocephala or formosa ssp chionocephala Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 4:59 pm

Thanks Mark,
I was coming to the conclusion that this wasn't right, as the photo in Craig of caerula does show wool, and this plant seems ot have none to speak of. So, whether the plant was wrongly named, or whether the seed wasn't true, who knows now, and though its a rather flatter form that some of my other formosas, I think it has to be basic, simple formosa ssp formosa. For a while I did wonder whether it might not be a formosa at all, because of its flattened shape, but that it might be a heyderi ssp. gummifera, but I'm now thinking it is closer to formosa, mainly because the spination is much tighter than on gummifera, and the rate of growth much slower.
But I could be wrong, and would welcome other views.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: M. caerulea or chionocephala or formosa ssp chionocephala   M. caerulea or chionocephala or formosa ssp chionocephala Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

M. caerulea or chionocephala or formosa ssp chionocephala
Page 1 of 1