Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria carnea

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria carnea Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria carnea   Mammillaria carnea Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 2:29 pm

Hello-

I have a Mamm carnea with a ring of fruit. I have split open the fruit and under 2x magnification of the microscope; I see something of an orangish color inside the red fruit. Anyone have fruits on this species right now? Any comment on visibility of seed? I know some Mamm seed are very tiny.

Perhaps I am not giving the fruit long enough for seed development?

I have had some species, like Mamm crucigera, that produces fruit consistently - but never has any seed inside. Perhaps as many as 25% of the species I grow don't produce seed. Maybe this one is another one as well?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Lisa
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Mammillaria carnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria carnea   Mammillaria carnea Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 9:34 am

Hi Lisa,

I'm not aware that M. carnea produces blind fruit as a regular thing. I know that M. crucigera does, as I got quite excited the first time I saw the fruit after flowering, but it happens all the time on that species. I don't have carnea fruit to check on, but it could well be a timing matter. I tend to harvest when the fruit is starting to dry up, as I have always believed that this most closely mimics nature, and nature would decide the time of highest viability.

Maybe that's a bit naïve, but I have failed with seed which I think was harvested too early.

Mammillaria carnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria carnea   Mammillaria carnea Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi Chris-

Thank you. LOL on M. crucigera. I too was excited when I first found fruits; it's such a cool looking plant.

I do believe I have been harvesting seeds too soon. I'll give this one more time and see what happens.

Best regards, Lisa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mammillaria carnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria carnea   Mammillaria carnea Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria carnea
Page 1 of 1