HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria carnea

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ShoalCreekSucculents

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-02-26

Mammillaria carnea Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria carnea   Mammillaria carnea Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 2:29 pm

Hello-

I have a Mamm carnea with a ring of fruit. I have split open the fruit and under 2x magnification of the microscope; I see something of an orangish color inside the red fruit. Anyone have fruits on this species right now? Any comment on visibility of seed? I know some Mamm seed are very tiny.

Perhaps I am not giving the fruit long enough for seed development?

I have had some species, like Mamm crucigera, that produces fruit consistently - but never has any seed inside. Perhaps as many as 25% of the species I grow don't produce seed. Maybe this one is another one as well?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Lisa
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Mammillaria carnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria carnea   Mammillaria carnea Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 9:34 am

Hi Lisa,

I'm not aware that M. carnea produces blind fruit as a regular thing. I know that M. crucigera does, as I got quite excited the first time I saw the fruit after flowering, but it happens all the time on that species. I don't have carnea fruit to check on, but it could well be a timing matter. I tend to harvest when the fruit is starting to dry up, as I have always believed that this most closely mimics nature, and nature would decide the time of highest viability.

Maybe that's a bit naïve, but I have failed with seed which I think was harvested too early.

ShoalCreekSucculents

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-02-26

Mammillaria carnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria carnea   Mammillaria carnea Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi Chris-

Thank you. LOL on M. crucigera. I too was excited when I first found fruits; it's such a cool looking plant.

I do believe I have been harvesting seeds too soon. I'll give this one more time and see what happens.

Best regards, Lisa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mammillaria carnea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria carnea   Mammillaria carnea Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria carnea
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mammillaria Forum :: MAIN SECTION :: Growing from seed-
Jump to: