Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Named as M. auriareolis but is it??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

auriareolis - Named as M. auriareolis but is it?? Empty
PostSubject: Named as M. auriareolis but is it??   auriareolis - Named as M. auriareolis but is it?? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 1:34 pm

I sowed seed, from the Mammillaria Society offering, in 1998, it was Koehres seed number 8922.

auriareolis - Named as M. auriareolis but is it?? PICT6999

But the description is of a plant from the Leucocephalae, with white spines, centrals 4, 5mm only tipped brown, radials 24, 3mm, setaceous. I don't think that this description is of my plant. So a seed mix-up, no doubt, but who can suggest what this is?

My plant has 14-16 pale yellow radial spines and up to 3 brown central spines which are shorter than the radials, perhaps less that 0.5cm.M. parkinsonii has about 30 radial spines, nearly double the number of my plant. The overall impression is of a chestnut coloured spination over a mid-green body. But it is the flowers that certainly add to my misgivings of it as parkinsonii. They are an almost metallic pink, shading darker in the median of each petal. The stigma is pale yellow, almost white.

ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Named as M. auriareolis but is it??   auriareolis - Named as M. auriareolis but is it?? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 1:37 pm

It is something from the spinosissima group I think Chris, Don't no what yet.
But anyhow this is more prove that those seed suppliers don't give a d... about names. They only want to sell as much names as possible.

Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Named as M. auriareolis but is it??   auriareolis - Named as M. auriareolis but is it?? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 1:40 pm

I think that the flowers do suggest the Polyacanthae, Hugo. It had been suggested to me that my plant was M. aureispina, but I can't support that at all. The shape, as well as spine counts are against it being so.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Named as M. auriareolis but is it??   auriareolis - Named as M. auriareolis but is it?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Named as M. auriareolis but is it??
Page 1 of 1