Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas   Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 11:18 am

I don't know how many members use Facebook, but there are some great cactus groups there, of which one is "Cactus de Mexico" and another is "Mammillarias. - Groupo en Mundo".

One recent photo that was added, I think to one of these, which I saved is an amazing shot of the Mammillarias growing all along the trunk of a palm tree. I understand it was taken near Ocozocuautla in Chiapas. Interesting no?

Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas M_colu10

maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas   Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Incredibile....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas   Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 8:03 pm

Ich habe das Bild in Facebook gesehen.

Wie meinst du, Interesting no?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas   Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 8:05 pm

OH, das sind Mammillaria.
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas   Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Wonder who sowed the original seed ? Birds or ants ? Finding cacti growing in trees is not a new phenomenon however. I understand that plant collectors find the odd one now and again.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas   Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Yes, it isn't unknown for terrestrial plants finding a home on branches. I have been lucky enough to see both M. wildii and M. flavicentra on branches of trees, but never in such profusion as this photo shows.
I don't know what the seed dispersal vector is of many Mamms, it doesn't seem to figure in the literature much. I did a quick Google on this for Chiapas, but not Mamms, and found that as well as the ones you have listed, opossums and bats appear to be involved with some plant species!

delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas   Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi Chris,
Fruit bat does seem the more likely. M.columbiana's fruit is big enough to make a tasty meal and I should image a palm would have fruit to bring the bat there in the first place.
Back to top Go down
K.W.

K.W.

Number of posts : 3195
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas   Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 11:16 pm

Good morning Chris,
many thanks for this interesting photo! I myself am not on Facebook.
I've seen Mammillaria on trees, but nothing like this.
Maybe there was at first only a plant. She has formed seeds that have fallen down on the trunk. And later also sprouted.
Wonder where the roots go? Where the nutrients come from?
Fascinating!

Best regards

K.W.

Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas   Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 6:16 pm

This is what can happen when a palm seed germinates within a clump of mammillarias.... Smile 

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas   Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 7:49 pm

Oh, so they are not yucatanensis, but palmensis, now I see the logic!!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas   Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria columbiana ssp. yucatanensis in Chiapas
Page 1 of 1