Share | 

How Cold Can They Go?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tiggy

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: How Cold Can They Go?   Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:44 pm

This year I would like to experiment by leaving some of my plants out for the winter, but am not too sure as to how low a temperature the Mammillaria can take as I seem to find very conflicting opinions on this. I am in the process of making a new plot for some of my plants and intend to protect them from getting wet as well as preparing the ground adequately before-hand. It's just the temperatures that I am concerned about. They will be protected from the icy winds as well as I am going to make some sort of structure over them and cover the sides and top, it gets quite cold here, but it's the humidity I need to be careful mainly I think. Any advice would be welcome. Thankyou

Tiggy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris43

Number of posts : 1627
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: How Cold Can They Go?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:24 pm

I guess it depends what you mean by "gets quite cold here". I personally wouldn't grow many, if any, species in a temperature of lower that 3C. Mind you, I've never tried it, so I'm hoping that others might have more information that would surprise me!

walter hellinx

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: How Cold Can They Go?   Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:03 am

Look in the Mesa Garden seedlist, you want those with number 17-18 behind their name.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mammillaria.123website.be
tiggy

PostSubject: Re: How Cold Can They Go?   Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Thank you Chris and Walter, I have a few plants that clump very freely and have started off new plants by taking just one from each. I may just try and see what happens with just a few of them this year. Thank you again for your replies. I'll let you know how it goes and post photos in March when the worst will be past.

Tiggy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: How Cold Can They Go?   Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:53 pm

You may have a good chance with Mammillarias which are from the northern half of Mexico, or with Mammis which grow at high altitude.
Some suggestions: M. senilis can stand several degrees of frost (comes from > 2500 meters, and is sometimes covered with snow; -4 C at night has never been a problem for my plants), M. dodsonii gets frost in nature (grows in the south, but at 3000 meters; there are also forms, e.g. deherdtiana which grow much lower, these are probably more sensitive), some forms of M. formosa (they sometimes grow above 2500 meters), some forms of M. heyderi, e.g. gummifera, will get occasional frost in nature. M. theresae, M. haudeana, M. wrightii should also be able to survive some frost. As Walter Hellinx suggested, the seedlist of Mesa Garden will give helpful advice.
If your plants get sunshine on days with frost, then that is very beneficial. A long period of cloudy and frosty days will be very detrimental, just like high humidity. The method which you are planning to try, looks like a very good one to me and I expect that in northern Italy you will have a good chance that certain Mammis can survive outside of a greenhouse as long as they are protected from moisture and are in a well-drained substrate.

Wolter ten Hoeve, Assen, The Netherlands
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiggy

PostSubject: Re: How Cold Can They Go?   Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:47 pm

Thank you Wolter, you have confirmed my own thoughts, ie. to check out where they are from originally and work from that. The only thing to remember I think is to protect them from the humidity and rain. In the summer months it's not too bad as long as they don't get drenched. I am going to try and work it so that I can enclose them for the winter in order that they stay dry and remove the protection for the summer but with the option of replacing the overhead covering in case of excessive rain or moisture. (If that makes sense) Will post some pics. once I sort it out, for this year though it will be very rudimentary for a trial run and I am only leaving plants of which I have more than one (just in case).  

Tiggy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steve Stephens

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-10-18

PostSubject: Re: How Cold Can They Go?   Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:52 am

We had the misfortune in the 1990s of having the temperature get down to 16 deg. F (-8 deg. C) for one night. Surprisingly most of my Mammillarias survived that ordeal although I did lose a small percentage of them and most of my Euphorbias. I always harden off my cacti for the winter here (just north of San Francisco) by withholding water starting around October. Many of my cacti froze solid that year but thawed out ok and lived. I used to see temperatures down to 26 F in some winters but not for many years now; it goes down to maybe 30, so cold is not much of a problem for my Mamms when hardened off. They are also under cover in unheated greenhouses. I know that there are some Mamms that will not tolerate even a slight frost so you will want to find out which plants those are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.earlyfans.com
tiggy

PostSubject: Re: How Cold Can They Go?   Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Steve Thank you for the advice. Sorry for the delay in replying but it's been a bit hectic recently, had my sister and her husband over for a few days so it was panic to make sure everything was in order and jobs that would have waited until later in the year were brought forward. Nice to see them though. I have started the construction for the hopefully cold resistant plants that I want to try leaving out. It's going to be larger than I originally planned (almost 2,5m by 1,25m.) more like a mini-greenhouse, so fingers crossed I am hoping that I won't have too many disasters. I am taking photos at various stages so will post them when completed. Thank you again to everyone.

Tiggy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Cold Can They Go?   

Back to top Go down

How Cold Can They Go?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1