Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria orcuttii

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria orcuttii Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria orcuttii   Mammillaria orcuttii Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 1:54 pm

I received this Mammillaria orcuttii CS 592. I'm quite surprised because it is very woolly.
The pictures I've seen so far showed less woolly plants. That said, I find it very beautiful Smile

Mammillaria orcuttii 82526510
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria orcuttii   Mammillaria orcuttii Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 2:28 am

Looks exactly like the plant pictured on the web-site for Le Jardin de Monsieur Semper, even down to the gravel in the pot! The site also believes it to be M. Orcuttii CS592, as it's pictured under the heading M. Orcuttii. It does have rather more wool than one might expect for M. Orcuttii, which tends to be more woolly around the crown, not all over. Is it a young plant, as a more mature plant would have lost it's radial spines by now. The other plant that springs to mind, with a similar appearance, is M. formosa ssp. psuedocrucigera, of which I have a very woolly specimen. This plant is believed to be the link between M. formosa and M. sempervivi. Some wholesalers still sell it as M. sempervivi, as was mine. You need to see your plant's flowers which should be dark pink, whereas, m. psuedocrucigera should have pink striped petals. Fruit and seed doesn't help, as both have dark red fruit and brown seed. I liken it also to another member of the formosa group, m. chionocephala, which I have seen very woolly specimens before, that would have white flowers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria orcuttii   Mammillaria orcuttii Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 9:24 am

OK! I'll wait for flowering.
Just a clarification ... it is normal that it is the same photo as "Le Jardin de Mr Semper" ... this is my site... look my signature Smile
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria orcuttii   Mammillaria orcuttii Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:33 am

It is more normal for the wool to be towards the top of the plant, as you can see from this habitat photo.

Mammillaria orcuttii 2012-010

The presence and retention of the whispy radial spines does make me doubt it as M. orcuttii. Do you know who CS is, as I can find three CS references in the Field Collector Database - of whom two appear to bhave die din the 1970's so plant material after many generations could be suspect.

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria orcuttii   Mammillaria orcuttii Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 4:15 pm

I can not find information for CS592. this number is doubtful !!!!
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria orcuttii   Mammillaria orcuttii Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 5:15 pm

OK, I did some digging, and Google led me to an eBay seller. CS592 is the catalogue number used by him, it isn't a field number. Did you buy it from there, because if so, you might like to ask him the source of the seed, as that might shed a bit more light on the matter.

maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria orcuttii   Mammillaria orcuttii Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 8:11 pm

I think that this plant could be Mammillaria hahniana maybe ssp bravoe.
These central spines are not so stronger like in M.orcuttiii...

Mammillaria orcuttii Haagea10
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria orcuttii   Mammillaria orcuttii Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:41 pm

I agree, Maurillio, there is wool, but also hairs in the axils, w huich seems much more likely to be pone of the hahniana forms. u

maurillio

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria orcuttii   Mammillaria orcuttii Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 5:02 pm

The problem of the radial spines, the thin and two central spines arises for this LAU 632 that I found in the collection of my friend Ento.
Now ...
Is this is the real LAU 632?
If so, it seems very far from the original description of Mammillaria orcuttii....

Mammillaria orcuttii Orcutt11
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria orcuttii   Mammillaria orcuttii Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 8:50 pm

Attached are some habitat photos of M. orcuttii from Valle de los Fantasmas, which is close to the Lau 632 location of Alvarez. Nowadays this taxon from Valle de los Fantasmas is generally considered to be M. orcuttii. It is a fantastic plant, especially when you see it in flower in habitat. Notice the radial spines in some of my photos!

Wolter ten Hoeve.

Mammillaria orcuttii Img_9010

Mammillaria orcuttii Img_9011

Mammillaria orcuttii Img_9012

Mammillaria orcuttii Img_9013

Mammillaria orcuttii Img_9014
Back to top Go down
maurillio

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria orcuttii   Mammillaria orcuttii Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 9:29 pm

The photos in habitat are clear.

Last edited by maurillio on Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria orcuttii   Mammillaria orcuttii Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Your photos, Wolter, prompted me to look up my own from when I went through the Valle de las Fantasmas in 2010. And just look at the radial spines in the spine cluster just towards the bottom of the wool, at the front. Many small white flimsy radial spines. It would seem that they are very deciduous in habitat at least, but maybe not in European cultivation.

I think the lack of 4-5 stout central spines is more significant though.....and maybe enough to distinguish a plant from the 2 spined and non-deciduous radial spined M. hahniana woodsii, which is what I think the queried plants could very well be, and regrettably Ento's plant as well.

Mammillaria orcuttii 2012-010

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria orcuttii   Mammillaria orcuttii Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria orcuttii
Page 1 of 1