Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ID Mammillaria

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

ID Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: ID Mammillaria   ID Mammillaria Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Can you help me?
Thank's
Marco

ID Mammillaria P1060812

ID Mammillaria P1060811

ID Mammillaria P1060810
Back to top Go down

ID Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria   ID Mammillaria Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Your absolutely beautiful Mammillaria reminds me of M. dumetorum Marco. Could it be? I am really not sure.

Back to top Go down
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

ID Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria   ID Mammillaria Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 4:54 pm

mhhh...
spines in m.schiedeana ssp dumetorum are glassy-white to yellowish, yellow at the base......

could it be mammillaria pilispina?
me too really not sure...
però......

ID Mammillaria Pilisp10

ID Mammillaria Pilisp11
Back to top Go down

ID Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria   ID Mammillaria Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 5:42 pm

I think the spines on pillispina are too erect. I do love those small headed clustering Mammillarias such as your plant and M. pillispina which I think I may no longer have.

I still lean towards being M. dumetorum because I can't think of another Mamm that it would be. Just getting back into my cactus I am probably forgetful of many species that I used to know better.
Back to top Go down

ID Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria   ID Mammillaria Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 10:06 am

I do not think it's a M. pilispina or a M. dumetorum.
Perhaps a hybrid......

Marco
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

ID Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria   ID Mammillaria Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 pm

Has it flowered while in your care, Marco?
My first thought was pilispina, which is quite a variable species, hence the names of rayonensis, odehnalii, and others given to variants of pilispina.
The suggestion of dumetorum doesn't seem right, as it is a very slow growing form of schiedeana, and to have so many heads would make it an extremely old plant. It looks like a reasonably quick growing species, but I am not suggesting prolifera, as it doesn;t fit my view of that plant either.
Hmmm.......

ID Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria   ID Mammillaria Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi Chris,
this plant has not flowered.
Marco
Back to top Go down
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

ID Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria   ID Mammillaria Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 5:21 pm

caro marco,
mi fa piacere che tu non creda a m.pilispina, ma magari se mi spieghi per quale motivo, ne possiamo parlare.
la pianta accestisce abbondantemente, ha più centrali di diverso colore, ha le radiali in gran numero fini e bianche.
con quella faccia qui non ce ne sono tante.....

translation...
i wanted to know why not m.pilispina where the description is really near, i think...
where are the differences between pilispina and the plant showed?
Back to top Go down

ID Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria   ID Mammillaria Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 11:00 am

Caro Maurilio,
le piante fotografate sono due, una non ha spine centrali e l'altra ne ha una.
Inoltre, cosa che ho notato oggi, la pianta con una spina centrale sta facendo i fiori e sembrano rosa.

Marco

Dear Maurilio,
plants photographed are two, one has no central spines and the other has one central spine.
Also, what I noticed today, the plant with a central spine is doing the flowers and appear pink.
Marco
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

ID Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria   ID Mammillaria Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 11:34 am

A photo if possible with the flower? That I'm sure will help.
If a pink flower, it isn't dumetorum or pilispina!

ID Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria   ID Mammillaria Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 11:04 am

The flowers do not open, however, are pink.
Marco

ID Mammillaria P1060813

ID Mammillaria P1060814
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

ID Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria   ID Mammillaria Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks Marco, at least that excludes quite a lot of species which have been considered!

It is an unusual colour flower, more a lilac rather than pink, unless that is just how it has come out in the photo.

There are a lot of hybrids of Mammillaria vetula ssp vetula and ssp gracilis around with pink or red flowers, as well as the more usual yellow flowers. M. vetula has between 30 and 40 white radial spines and a small number (1 or 2 maybe to 5 or 9) of straight darker central spines.

I think that your plant is probably a hybrid M. vetula.

Sponsored content

ID Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria   ID Mammillaria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ID Mammillaria
Page 1 of 1