Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora)   Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 10:43 am

Hello,
this Mammillaria I got a few years ago with the Name Mammillaria woodsii albiflora.
But I have never heard of a Mammillaria woodsii albiflora.
Does anyone of you what kind of a Mammillaria?

many Greetings

Torsten

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Weiaa_10

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Weiaa_11

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Weiaa_12

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Weiaa_13
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora)   Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 12:13 pm

HI,
I have a Mammillaria hahniana albiflora, a very old plant that I was given 5 years or so ago.

M. hahniana is considered by some to be a wrong name, and that it only applies to the very long haired plants (some say they are long haired forms of M. kilissingiana). I believe that in Germany especially, other forms of what in the UK we would call M. hahniana (woodsii etc), are called M. saetigera. So your plant might be more properly called M. hahniana ssp woodsii or M. saetigera ssp. woodsii!

So, I think we could both have the albino flowered form of same species, whatever the name. Your plant has longer cental spines than mine, but it is otherwise very similar.

I believe it is a natural form, not a hybrid.

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora)   Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 11:46 am

Hello Chris,
I think that this is one of Mammillaria woodsii.
In my Collection there is no Mammillaria hahniana ssp. woodsii,the M. woodsii is a ssp. of saetigera.
There are also differences between saetigera and woodsii.

many greetings

Torsten

Mammillaria hahniana

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Attach10

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Attach11

Mammillaria saetigera ssp. woodsii Rog 574

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Echino11

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Echino12

Mammillaria saetigera Rog 495

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Lophop10

Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora)   Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 11:53 am

Nice plants Torto, whatever the botnsist decide they should be called! I'd stick with woodsii, and know what is meant by that name at least.

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora)   Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 9:30 pm

These pictures remind me of plants I found near the village of Guadalcazar, SLP. They look very similar and I labeled the pictures M. klissingiana for it is the only plant with pink flowers from that area although plants I had found as M. klissingiana from Jaumave, Tamaulipas were different. M.Hahniana ssp. woodsii is reported only from Guanajuato. To add to the confusion one plant had white flowers as shown in this photo. The black spines in these plants were suffering some kind of fungus.

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Dscf6714

Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora)   Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Amante, the plants which you found near Guadalcazar are M. formosa. Michel Lacoste and Helmut Rogozinski have these plants in their field lists under ML 685 and Rog 603. This taxon grows a little south of El Realejo, which lies somewhat north of the MEX-57 - Guadalcazar road. The flowers were described by Michel Lacoste as deep pink. Is your location also near El Realejo?
When I was at this location last February, it had been raining and it was foggy (February was unseasonably wet in these parts of Mexico). Volcanic rocks were present and the plants were growing on or near these rocks. In between the rocks the soil was very, very muddy.
See attached photos, the second photo shows a M. formosa growing in one of the rocks.

Wolter ten Hoeve, Assen, The Netherlands.

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Img_7810

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Img_7812
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora)   Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 9:37 am

My first thought when seeing these in habitat were that of M. formosa. I have seen M. formosa from numerous locations, and on several trips, that all had yellowish-white flowers with (sometimes) light pink stripes on the outside. So having found these deep pink-flowered ones (except for the one mentioned previously) I had to change my mind and think of klissingiana. But, yes the description fits more M. formosa with respect to Pilbeam's book except for the colour and the lasting wool.

I found these at Guadalcazar proper. They were found on site 1 and 3 (see map below) which can be described as the same site but were visited on two consecutive days. I did not find any on site 2 which is almost impenetrable low bush area were I had to crawl under bushes for several hours finding only an interesting Thelocactus hexaedrophorus

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Dscf6720

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Dscf6721

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Guadal10
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora)   Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Your sites are very interesting. I visited Guadalcazar several times (mainly for staying overnight because there is a hotel), but I have never searched the area where you have been.
Your location will be less than 10 km from the ML 685 location. Michel Lacoste writes in his field notes that the flowers are 'rose très foncé', i.e. very deep pink. On http://www.mammillarias.net/gallery/EF/M_formosa_ML_685 you can find a photo of a flowering plant. A little further in that photo gallery is also shown ML 688 with pink flowers. This location is along the old road from the MEX-57 to Cerritos, and about 10 km south of your Guadalcazar location (and across a hill range). Michel Lacoste says of this taxon that the flowers on some plants are pink.
Apparently, in the Guadalcazar region, M. formosa has those pretty deep pink flowers.

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora)   Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria woodsii (albiflora)
Page 1 of 1