Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New addition to Mammillaria.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

New addition to Mammillaria. Empty
PostSubject: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi All,

Understand through the grapevine that our society is considering allowing
Turbinicarpus into our fold. Gymnocactus maybe,but others no! What do
you think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 11:52 am

Derek, Why not?
Gymnocactus as a genus doesnt exist ny longer - sunk into Turbinicarpus! So surely the logical step is to replace Gymnocactus in the list of allied genera at the top of this page, with 'Turbinicarpus'.
Personally I would expand the remit to include the whole of Tribe Cacteae! Almost certainly a step too far but in order to maybe increase membership I think including at least Turbinicarpus would help.
Be interesting to hear what others think.....
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 6:44 pm

I'm not expressing a view on this yet, though I do have one.
I'd like more input from Society members on this, and we'l discuss again in Committee in March.

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 5:04 am

I am new to this forum but not new to cacti growing and collecting. Since getting back to the hobby I am on a mission to rejuvenate my Mammillarias (plus some other genus) but my main interest is in Mammillarias. I love having a forum dedicated to JUST Mammillarias without the possible distraction of adding more genus.

I have grown and like Turbinicarpus but am not very familiar with them. Perhaps adding them to this forum would help educate me and point out the species worth growing. I think going either way would be ok with me as long as the forum stays focused on Mams.

Steve
San Anselmo, CA

Last edited by Steve Stephens on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 8:52 am

Hi Steve,
The discussion here is about whether the Mammillaria Society expands its Associated Genera to include Turbinicarpus. This Forum is not part of the Society, despite my involvement in both.
Your views are interesting, as I'm sure many members of the Society would echo them.

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Chris43 wrote:
Hi Steve,
The discussion here is about whether the Mammillaria Society expands its Associated Genera to include Turbinicarpus. This Forum is not part of the Society...

Thank you Chris for pointing out that the Society and this forum are not one and the same. I was a Mammillaria Society member for a year many years ago.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Not a problem, Steve. You can, of course, join the Society again!!?

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 2:03 am

Chris43 wrote:
Not a problem, Steve. You can, of course, join the Society again!!?

Now that I would do in a heartbeat if I were in the UK. I see some really wonderful Mammillaria collections on this site and it would be a pleasure to visit some of them someday. It would be a very long paddle in my sea kayak over the ocean unfortunately.

Steve
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Only just seen this thread.

I recall attending a Mammillaria Society committee meeting about 12 years ago, before moving to Scotland and at that time I was pushing for Turbinicarpus to be added to the Allied Genera.
At that time cactus resarch was showing that some of the species included in the Allied Genera were related to Turbinicarpus and I felt that we had to either remove those species or add Turbo's.
I expect, has with all things in the cactus world, its a matter of were you draw that line.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Well,I can´t make up my mind about including Turbinicarpus as an allied genus in Mammillaria,but if this forum stays clear of them then i wouldn´t mind so much. There are fora for Turbs on the net already ,so one more wouldn´t be needed
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi Thord,

You are right, there are some good websites on Turbinicarpus. The question was posed for the Mammillaria Society only, not this Forum. The two are totally separate, the only common link is me!

But I can be suitably schizophrenic. affraid

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi Chris! I was well aware of the distinction between the Society and this Forum.When I look at the societys homepage I can´t see this mentioned but perhaps it will be in the next issue of the Journal. I am a member of the society and also the german AfM, not because of a special interest in Mammillarias per se but because I want to learn more about all the species of cacti that I love. I have had cacti since my early twenties (mostly mamms) but it´s only during the last 25 years that i have been almost obsessed with cactaceae and only during the last 6-7 years have I tried to get plants with field numbers because there are quite a difference between plants of the same species but from different locations and that is fascinating in itself and is a good reason for getting more plants.....
Well,it´s late and I´m rambling. Good night all. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 10:25 pm

OK, that's fine, Thord.
You won't find anything on the Society webpage, at least not yet. We have a Committee meeting mid-March, at which it will be discussed. I am taking a neutral position and want the Committee to offer their views. I see that there are pros and cons.
Taxonomically, Turbinicarpus is perhaps closer to Mammillaria than Thelocactus, which appears within the "Associated Genera". Maybe expanding the scope of the Society might bringa wider membership, and so help the finances of theSociety.
But if one starts to accept more and more Mexican genera, and others are just as close as Turbinicarpus, then we might dilute our focus and end up as a generalist spociety, whch is not where we are, and probably don;t want to be. There are the BCSS and other National and International Societies for that.
I don't think anything's going to happen quickly, but we'll see what happens in a few weeks.

K.W.

K.W.

Number of posts : 3195
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 10:29 pm

Thord Hakansson wrote:
. . . only during the last 6-7 years have I tried to get plants with field numbers because there are quite a difference between plants of the same species but from different locations and that is fascinating in itself and is a good reason for getting more plants.....
Well,it´s late and I´m rambling. Good night all. Sleep

Wonderful, that is very sympathetic!!! cheers

In this matter, I too, do my very best. . .

Best regards

K.W. drunken Sleep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New addition to Mammillaria.   New addition to Mammillaria. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New addition to Mammillaria.
Page 1 of 1