Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Four Mammillaria are there the same?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Four Mammillaria are there the same? Empty
PostSubject: Four Mammillaria are there the same?   Four Mammillaria are there the same? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 1:58 am

Hello. Smile In this photography, there are four Mammillarias, apparently same, but if we observe well, scratch they differ in the central thorns and in the radial ones also. Could you help me?, Which are their names? Thank you

https://i.servimg.com/u/f31/17/31/19/04/23-09-12.jpg[/img]Four Mammillaria are there the same? 23-09-12[/img]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Four Mammillaria are there the same?   Four Mammillaria are there the same? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:00 am

Hi Joma
the three in the red pots look to me to be Mammillaria backebergiana, the one on the right I need some more time to ponder. I would like to hear from some other member to confirm my thoughts on the first three, as i,am not experienced enough, and do not have the confidence to say that this is this plant, i know from experience that there can be a lot of variation in these plants.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Four Mammillaria are there the same?   Four Mammillaria are there the same? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 6:59 am

Thak you Arthur for your answer. The following pictures present a detail of the thorns of the four mammillarias. Beginning with the first of the left
Four Mammillaria are there the same? 23-09-22

Four Mammillaria are there the same? 23-09-16çç

Four Mammillaria are there the same? 23-09-18ç

Four Mammillaria are there the same? 23-09-19

Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Four Mammillaria are there the same?   Four Mammillaria are there the same? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 10:36 am

I think you are right, Arthur, with M. backebergiana. The central spines vary a lot in this species, according to the description, from 1 to 3, light brown to dark brown. I have a plant in my collection that has no central spine, or rather the one that might be a central is pale like the other radial spines, and pointing upwards almost in the same plane as the radials.

Without doubt, they are plants from the Polyacanthae series, and the Spinosissima group, which includes backebergiana, matudae, spinosissima itself and its variants, and meyranii. I favour them all being backebergiana.

PostSubject: Re: Four Mammillaria are there the same?   Four Mammillaria are there the same? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 12:54 am

Arthur, Criss. I have read your comments and observed the Mammillaria again and I accept your suggestions. Thank you for your help. joma
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Four Mammillaria are there the same?   Four Mammillaria are there the same? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Four Mammillaria are there the same?
Page 1 of 1